• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

fuel dumping out of my air filter box

teacherman

I have recently bough a basket case 6.2l diesel 1989 HMMWV that ran but would not shut off when purchased. The indiviual before me blew the old engine and replaced with another 6.2l civilian motor. He swapped out most parts correctly from what I can tell. I corrected his shut off solenoid problem but now when I start it, fuel dumps out of the air filter box. It looks like the diesel fuel return line is connected to the differential and gear hub vent lines which return to the air box. I need help. Can anyone with a 6.2 share a bunch of pictures with me so I can go over this thing top to bottom before changing out the rest of the fluids and taking it for it's maiden voyage down the road. My email address is pohlmanr@gmail.com It would be greatly appreciated. Also does anyone have an ibis tek bumper for sale?

osteo16

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can’t help with the fuel issue, but I’ll try to Pm you info on a Ibis Tek bumper I saw for sale the other day if I come across it.. Good luck with the fuel issue, I’d say look at your hose routings and cross reference with the TMs

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm not much up on the vent system, but isn't there a vent line that goes to the fuel pump? If the fuel pump were failed and leaking fuel, that would explain the situation.

Action

And newer trucks do not have the fuel pump vent tied into the rest of the vent lines. It wouldn't hurt to change that to a T on the filler neck or tie it into the small canister behind the radiator overflow tank.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you open the hood and run the vehicle and look for where the fuel is coming from? Did you disconnect vent lines and check to see which one is actively spouting fuel? Is the top of your engine soaked in fuel?

teacherman

Can’t help with the fuel issue, but I’ll try to Pm you info on a Ibis Tek bumper I saw for sale the other day if I come across it.. Good luck with the fuel issue, I’d say look at your hose routings and cross reference with the TMs
thanks. Trying the TMs

teacherman

Did you open the hood and run the vehicle and look for where the fuel is coming from? Did you disconnect vent lines and check to see which one is actively spouting fuel? Is the top of your engine soaked in fuel?
Yep. Had hood opened and was all good purring like a kitten then diesel started coming out of the airbox drain on the bottom. top of engine dry. the metal return line that goes over the motor and down the left side of the motor and is connected to the injector lines is also connected to the vent line which goes up to the air box. This is where I think he connected something wrong and would like to see pics of how they should be connected.

Action

There are 2 hard lines on the frame rail near the fuel lift pump. The bigger is supply. Thinner is return. The injector return lines connect to the thinner metal line. Hopefully that is still connected to the tank.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All newer trucks from the factory have a separate vent hose from the fuel pump to the fuel filler neck.
This prevents fuel contamination into other wet components when the diaphragm fails in the pump.

Reactions: 98G

teacherman

Back to my original question... Can anyone share a picture of the right side of the motor behind the passenger wheel area where the hoses and vent lines are?

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Back to my original question... Can anyone share a picture of the right side of the motor behind the passenger wheel area where the hoses and vent lines are?
How about posting a picture of what exactly you are talking about?, that would help us understand what you are looking for.

AAVP7

To me it looks like the fuel return line (the metal line at the top with the Tee) was indeed accidentially connected to the vent system (the shiny black thin tube at the bottom). Thus the returning fuel is pumped not only into the air filter, but also into diffs, transmission, transfer, PS pump, etc.. This is bad.

After connecting the fuel return correctly, you´ll need to change all fluids in things connected to the vent system.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks