• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel Economy M35A2 vs M35A3

mktopside

Banned
If it freezes it may take you weeks to get the mud off .
Hey, at least it's home. I was rather disappointed that the tires aren't tougher than they are. I'm not sure if it was a rock or a piece of ice that sliced the side wall, but it did't really take much force to do so. Once I felt the truck drop (I was going slow) I stopped and got out to asses the situation. Since the rear of the truck was on dry land, I didn't want to dig myself in any further, so I didn't gun it or put any undue stress on anything.

Hindsight being 20/20, there was a pile of rocks near by that I probably could have loaded into the rear of the bed (many many tons), that probably would have gotten me out. Then again, if I had a strong enough hi-lift jack I could have lifted that corner and placed them under that wheel. Either way, it's good I didn't screw around, and I'm glad I called the wrecker. I was out by the time the cops showed up, if I was still stuck there when they did I'm sure they would have been pissed.

.......never going back to that place.

Attachments

Last edited:

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Fuel Consumption
Thanks for posting that chart. I get considerably more than the 5.15 - 6.18 mpg shown in the chart. I'm almost getting twice that. I know my speedometer is reading correctly because I've compared it to my GPS. Almost everyone I've heard from gets better than those numbers. When I first got my A2 it only got about 7 mpg, but the mileage has increased since then. I haven't done anything to the truck or engine, not even filters, since it runs so good.

storeman

armytruck63,
you are correct on fuel consumption being rated at fully loaded condition. when logisticians plan, they have to figure fuel requirements at worst case.

Reactions: HDN

jaxsof

FWIW the A3 fuel adjustment is covered in TM 9-2320-386-24-1-2 . Somewhere along the line someone made an "alteration". However, the "E" rating for the 3116 is at 2800rpm :shock:

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
armytruck63,
you are correct on fuel consumption being rated at fully loaded condition. when logisticians plan, they have to figure fuel requirements at worst case.
That makes a lot of sense and explains why I get so much more mileage with my empty A2. I'm still not sure why I get so much less with my empty A3 than some others do. When the weather improves, I'll go through the truck and see if I can find the cause.

rotorleasing

A2 gets better mileage than A3

But not by much. I get about 10 MPG in the A3's I have, maybe more on the highway, maybe 8 off-road. However, my A2's have always gotten slightly better.

dkconfiguration

Does anyone know what their mpg and safe top-speed on highway is with an M35a3 towing an m103a3? Tires are the typical 14.5r20 with 85% tread on the truck, and the standard NDT on the trailer. The trailer I will be pulling is a bare frame model with no sidewalls or tailgate, and the truck is a m35a3c with winch, antenna, spare tire, and cover-frame but no cover. I was going to put some Opti-Lube XPD in the fuel, and some Opti-Lube oil-fortifier in the oil to help it as much as I could. Also wondering if having a new / cleaner air filter makes much of a difference? Thanks.

Last edited:

rustystud

The only way to get better mileage is with an overdrive manual transmission. The AT 500 series in the A3 has no lock-up torque converter and no overdrive. So either buy a modern automatic transmission (with a ECM module) or a manual transmission. You could try the taller tires route but your transmission is still slipping in the torque converter.

Jeepsinker

You can put the spicer 3053a out of an A2 behind the cat motor, and even install the waterloo specialties extreme overdrive in the transmission before you install it. That'll get you more speed and more mpg.

JonMolander

Did a 464 mile road trip this weekend. Towing an M105 with tarps on and an approx 1500lb payload, I averaged 8.5mpg. 100%WMO for the first 250 miles, then I topped off the tank with No.2 Diesel. EGTs cooled off about 25-50 degrees, but I didn't notice an economy improvement.

Reactions: HDN
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks