• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel economy mods?

gt1009

In the age of $4 diesel, has anyone done any mods to their cucv to improve fuel economy? The 20mpg stock is pretty good, but any more would be lovely. I was thinking a better air intake and exhaust, but there has to be something else that can be done.

Bobert

I wish mine was getting 20 mpg. I am stuck at 16.

I think If you really want an improvement, you need a 700R4. But then you wouldn't have the th400. :(

I tried that power service fuel additive, and it dropped to 13mpg. Won't try that again.

I try not to look at the $$$$ when I fill up. Makes it easier.

Tibby

My M1028 has a 700R4. It is something you should consider. As long as you steer clear of the early years and have the transmission gone through thoroughly/properly before you install it. I have 4.10 axle gears, stock tires, and with a LIGHTWEIGHT right foot, I have gotten 17-18 MPG. You might like the 3.06 vs. 2.48 1st gear. 0.70 4th gear won't hurt you either.

AJMBLAZER

The OD gear is the obvious one but not the cheapest.

Basically you want to make the engine breath in more, cooler air and exhale out the gases easier. I haven't done anything with my intake yet but I did replace the stock mufflers with Cherry Bombs and it definitely got a bit peppier. Can't tell in the cab if it sounds any different but the "seat of the pants" power increase was easily worth the $60 or so I invested in it.

Croatan_Kid

I've got a seriously beefed 700R4 awaiting it's finaly resting place in between the frame rails of my M1008. Even with 39 inch tires, it still needs OD bad! I'm averaging 14 MPG right now as best I can tell with the odometer not reading correctly, which aint bad for some big tires like that and they're pretty heavy. A 700R4 swap aint too hard, you just have to search for certain diesel specfic parts like the torque converter, tall transfer case adapter, and the TV cable bracket for the 6.2/700R4. You'll also need to swap input shafts on the transfer case or just swap in another one.

Try an intake mod and some decent exhaust and see what happens then go from there.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks