• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel filler cap lock?

TehTDK

Hi and sorry if this question has been asked before which I figure it has ;).

I have however tried to search for it without really get a lot wiser or closer to what I was looking for.

Previously when I looked for security advice on how to lock down a deuce I came across someone who had made a rather beefy looking fuel filler cap lock that looked rather sturdy and made out of steel forming some kind of frame over the the tabs on the filler cap preventing it to be turned. I can't however for the life of me remember who it was that posted the image or the post.

I have searched and searched and the only fuel filler cap locking solutions i can find is people generally attaching a 1-2mm slim metal plate to their cap and then looking it to the strap that holds the fuel tank fixed to the truck. And i guess it works, but sorry it doesn't really look sturdy enough for me :).

But I hope someone might be able to remember the topic the image was posted in, or perhaps the actual author comes forward :)

Either way I am hoping someone might be able to direct me in the right direction and would like to extend my thanks in advance for any help rendered.

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In previous discussions about locking fuel caps several members brought up the possibility of vandalism exceeding the cost of the fuel. Thieves are lazy, and rather then try to circumvent a sturdy locking mechanism why not just poke a hole in the tank and catch the fuel as it drains. Another possibility is the lazy, but this time tooless thieves might be significantly deterred by the sturdy locking mechanism.

I subscribe to the former theory. If the thief has the gear to siphon my fuel, I figure he thought ahead and probably has a tool/sharp pointy object to jam into my tank. If someone wants my fuel they can have it as long as they don't damage my truck. However, I do have one of the flimsy locking bars you mentioned installed, but with only a sturdy cable tie securing the hasp. I use the cable tie so I could see if anyone tampered with my fuel, rather than prevent theft.

philofab

I had a brand new Uhaul truck on the lot and a thief drilled a hole in the tank. Ruined a tank you could't even get from Ford yet. Put the truck down for months.

welldigger

I run WMO and would like to see them pour this stuff in their tank. They probably would'nt make it too far.
Haha I would almost let them steal my fuel. Just hopefully they would leave enough in there so you could follow them the mile down the road to where their truck dies.

TehTDK

Well I plan to run WMO/WVO in combination with Diesel when I get one. But I just want the lock on there both as a matter of safety, but also as someone else mentioned to make sure noone might tamper with my fuel.

But yes I am aware there are several ways to get access to the tank, by simply destroying it. But by that justification then we shouldn't lock down the truck either because people can always break a window etc to get access and steal something, or it. :p. I am aware that locks keeps honest people honest, and nothing more then that.

But most of the fuel thefts that has been here has been straight out siphonings, from either a truck or car tank, or from a AGST on a construction site. And a lock etc would prevent that or at least hinder access. Here siphoning fuel is one thing, but actually vandalising to get it is a step up the jail ladder :p.

But yea I would consider it more as a thing for discouragement, rather then it really stopping anyone really determined to siphon my fuel, even if there are certain things that can stop that as well :)

TehTDK

Goldneagle:

Thats actually not it. The one I am talking about looks like a piece of box metal, or a small I-beam cut off to form a kind of U shape upside down that fits on top of the 2 tabs, and has a "angled" bend in it. Not sure if that description helps and if not then I can try to draw it with my "amazing" drawing skills :p

TehTDK

Caliber,

Yours looks like the one I was describing in the first post. The one with the U shaped piece of metal that fits over the tabs both hiding them, as well as prevents turning them is what I am hopefully looking for.

like I said it looks like a piece of box metal that you use for a frame, but smaller, with one of the sides cut out which fits over the tabs. And the metal piece has a "kink" in it so that it fixes over the tabs and then attaches to something. I just wish I could remember which thread I saw it in :(

TehTDK

I just wish I could either A: Search and get only posts with attachments, or B: Remember what thread I saw it in so I could contact the person that made it >.<

TehTDK

Update:

I found the original thread and post I saw. Took me 1+ hours of trawling the forum for any and all security related posts and threads. The post in question is:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...eft-ideas-Guys&p=209885&viewfull=1#post209885

I now realise its not quite C-channel, but I can see it easily changed to that, as well as being more securely fitted to the tank to prevent the "latch" from being removed. Something like getting a latch and securing the metal piece to that, weld or securely screw the latch into the upper side of the fuel tank, and thus prevent its removal and seal the screw/bolt holes with some kind of sealant. Makes the angle iron come on and off the filler cap, for refuelling but means that you can't remove the angle iron or latch without the lock actually being unlocked and off.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks