• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel filter base leaking? O-Ring part numbers here

Iceman3005

My fuel filter base started to leaking the other day, and it is making it hard to start. Have to bleed it now to start everytime. I LOVE THE INTERNET! After countless hours of searching I have found the O-rings and there GM part numbers, so here they are:
Stanadyne model 80:

Vac switch O-ring: 15593307 $4-10

Fuel heater O-ring: 15596600 $4-10

Air bleeder screw: 15535678 (includes new o-ring, its not sold seperatly) $7-8

Earlier style Vac O-ring: 15596608 $10

I can't find the one for the "water in fuel sensor" I think the whole sensor must be purchased and it includes the new (seal/o-ring). $111

Prices are different depending on where parts are bought.

I could only find the stanadyne part number for the heater O-ring: part # 15349 nsn # 5331-01-138-2106
couldn't crossreference the other numbers to the GM part numbers.

Last edited:

BlazerAdventure

Packing for the fuel filter housing.

I had a problem with the packing part number 27820. My housing was leaking and I could only find one of these packing parts in all of Phoenix. Since I did find one. I went to Napa Autoparts and grabbed their 1/4" fuel line and cut it to length to match... it worked perfectly.

It works for the air bleed and for the drain

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The stanadyne 80 base can be very user friendly or very frustrating, depending on how it feels. I've always been a staunch advocate for the 80 base but recently I've started switching all my stuff over to the FM100 stuff. Spin on filters for these were surplussed in mass a year or so back so filters are dirt cheap. I have a lifetime supply. Google the FM100 for many hits right here on Steel Soldiers. May not be the right thing for everyone but it was right for my small fleet of 4.

eckorzun

Mine has been leaking for months. Decided that today was the day to get into it. Moved the truck, popped the hood and saw bubbles coming out from under the fuel heater cap. Thanks to the hints here I went to find an o-ring for the heater. I couldn't make a parts number match (Saturday, after noon). So I drove over to one of the independent truck (big rigs) repair places with the heater and o-ring in hand. After some searching in their limited reserve of parts, he gave me the o-rings (3 of slightly different sizes)!
Based only on my personal experience; the Cat equipment dealers (Holt in my case) can size and match o-rings right at the counter and do a great job even if the ring is broken. The big rig part stores seem more like the auto parts stores.
Drive on!
ed

Iceman3005

Mine has been leaking for months. Decided that today was the day to get into it. Moved the truck, popped the hood and saw bubbles coming out from under the fuel heater cap. Thanks to the hints here I went to find an o-ring for the heater. I couldn't make a parts number match (Saturday, after noon). So I drove over to one of the independent truck (big rigs) repair places with the heater and o-ring in hand. After some searching in their limited reserve of parts, he gave me the o-rings (3 of slightly different sizes)!
Based only on my personal experience; the Cat equipment dealers (Holt in my case) can size and match o-rings right at the counter and do a great job even if the ring is broken. The big rig part stores seem more like the auto parts stores.
Drive on!
ed
Just google the part number, and order it online that is what I did.

rhinob

This thread needs a photo or two. My fuel filter holder / fuel heater developed a leak which is atomizing diesel all over the engine compartment. I'm not quite sure what parts go where as described in this thread but I'm under the impression it's repairable.

I've attached a photo of the point where my heater is leaking. The upper filter clamp attach point is right next to a hole. In that hole is the source of the leak. Little help?

Thanks!

Attachments

eckorzun

No, I don't think the heater isn't leaking. Have you looked at this area when it's running? My mystery leak was more than happy to show me where it was once I looked with it running. If atomizing like you say, might wait until after dark and trace the "smoke" mist while running.
ed

rhinob

Thanks much for all the information. I'm sure this thread will help people in the future as much as it's helped me.

Got one coming from Ebay.

BlazerAdventure

Where are you guys actually buying the orings from? I need the orings/seals for the bleed and drain screws and can't find them anywhere.

Hey Winston.. I tried the entire Phoenix Metro area when I was looking but only found one in stock.. they are very difficult to find.. but after I got the one I realized it is a cylinder instead of a donut... so I needed two.. so go to NAPA and get there smallest fuel line.. cut it to length and put them in the top and bottom and they work like a champ......

hope that helps..

bill

Winston Wolf

Hey Winston.. I tried the entire Phoenix Metro area when I was looking but only found one in stock.. they are very difficult to find.. but after I got the one I realized it is a cylinder instead of a donut... so I needed two.. so go to NAPA and get there smallest fuel line.. cut it to length and put them in the top and bottom and they work like a champ......

hope that helps..

bill

That may work for the water drain, since it's a needle valve shape. I don't have a frame of reference for the length, mine must have fallen out and disappeared when I took it apart.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks