• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

fuel filter base

motorman

hello gents,

have a leaky fuel filter base and need to find a replacement or do a spin on adaptation.

are there any cons to the spin on variety?

cannot find a fuel filter base for big diesel trucks (duramax w/ bleeder & pump) at a junkyard and cannot find a new mil spec filter base . . . so spin on is the choice if i ever want to drive my m1009

any advise is greatly appreciated

thanks
m

Attachments

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
ebay for a stock base

ranchhopper

Go to NAPA an get FF base #4309 and FF #3123 you can modify your original equipment bracket this FF has a water seperator and the filter is short enough not to interfere with anything around it. I will be adding a couple of these to each of my deuces this spring converting them to spin on fuel filters.

Attachments

Last edited:

Albin

A better idea, IMO, is to get the Wix/Napa 24770/4770 filter base with it's 1"-14 threads. The reason for this is the greater variety of fuel filters available with the 1"-14 threads vs. the 1"-12.

See the enclosed list of fuel filters as an example. These are all Wix/Napa; don't like Wix, then cross to your favorite brand and go to town.

Typically, filter bases are around $25 each at Fleetfilter.com, but they haven't had the 4770 base for a while. Therefore, try your local Napa and order it.

Even if you do go with the 1"-12 threaded base, hopefully the enclosed list will help you find a good fuel filter for your truck.

Good luck.

Al

Attachments

motorman

Thanks gents,

no need to have a bleeder valve for priming like the oem?

did napa have all the fittings . . . or did you go scrounging other places?

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
YES. you need some form of ability to bleed the fuel filter or you will NEVER keep your vehicle running properly with constant air TRAPPED in the fuel filter.

So make sure that you can bleed it and KNOW HOW. Otherwise it's a wasted conversion

Utah CUCV

The spin on filter looks like a good idea. But what do I do with the fuel sensor? And what about that black thing on top that also has wires?

xenocath

searching.............
just make sure whatever brand or type you get has a vent on it at the very least so you can bleed air out. i have run into this twice with the napa base where bleeding the system got to be a pain. i used a racor filter base 220r and 10 micron filter r24t with a primer and clear site bowl no issues in last few months.

mf5129

cucv filter base

hello gents,

have a leaky fuel filter base and need to find a replacement or do a spin on adaptation.

are there any cons to the spin on variety?

cannot find a fuel filter base for big diesel trucks (duramax w/ bleeder & pump) at a junkyard and cannot find a new mil spec filter base . . . so spin on is the choice if i ever want to drive my m1009

any advise is greatly appreciated

thanks
m
i have a good used one from a parts m1009 pm for info.

Utah CUCV

TM 9-2320-289-20 page 3-53: There are supposed to be seals (4) on plugs (5) and (17). Maybe I don't need a new filter base. Maybe I just need seals on the plugs.

Since my seals are completely missing, can somebody tell me what they are supposed to be...o rings? What size?

Wouldn't it be nice to solve all of our filter base problems with a couple of o rings :oops:

Utah CUCV

TM 9-2320-289-20 page 3-53: There are supposed to be seals (4) on plugs (5) and (17). Maybe I don't need a new filter base. Maybe I just need seals on the plugs.

Since my seals are completely missing, can somebody tell me what they are supposed to be...o rings? What size?

Wouldn't it be nice to solve all of our filter base problems with a couple of o rings :oops:

mf5129

try gm restoration parts.however the housing is probably warped or porous.it wont cost much to try however.

motorman

hello gentlemen,

before getting the lead on oem surplus i had begun going down the road to use a remote fuel filter base. in my zeal to get my M1009 back on the road i was pushing the envelope what was available. below is what my spin on base and fittings (with bleeder) turned into . . . a complete freankenstein monster. needless to say the parts were orderd yesterday from oem surpls and the fittings & filter base return.

thanks for all the help
m

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks