• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel filter keeps getting clogged on m923a2

Texcowboy4x4

Hi, I bought a m923a2 a few months ago from an auction. For the most part it runs fine. However, I have had to change the fuel filters twice so far. The fuel filiter got clogged up with gunk both times. I looked inside the the diesel tank and it looks pretty clean. From what I can tell the fuel line is copper.

What would yall suggest I change or clean on the truck..

Thank Yall

Ron

acme66

You could have bacteria in the fuel. Try adding a treatment for that. Otherwise you can drain it (here is hoping there isn't 60 gallons in there) and let it settle in some buckets for a while. Then you could really see what is going on in the tank and if some sort of scum forms on the bottom/sides of the bucket. If the tank looks clean but you are still plugging filters my bet is the bacteria.

Ken

sweetk30

what filter ?

engine on head or frame mounted behind left front wheel . ?

there is always engine and most have the second on frame .

tank could be clean but BIG filter on frame could be full and blowing junk up the line.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
There was a batch of these trucks that came from the factory with fuel tanks that had a coating that was soluble in diesel fuel (never forget you equipment was built by the lowest bidder:cookoo:).

Most of them went to upper level maint and had the tanks replaced but some may have slipped through the cracks.

Might be something to check out.

BnaditCorps

There was a batch of these trucks that came from the factory with fuel tanks that had a coating that was soluble in diesel fuel (never forget you equipment was built by the lowest bidder:cookoo:).

Most of them went to upper level maint and had the tanks replaced but some may have slipped through the cracks.

Might be something to check out.
yea that could be it.

I also watch a YouTube channel on computers (LinusTechTips) and they had a bacteria growing in their whole room water cooling tank. It ended up frying a few Video Cards and CPU water blocks.

Later on they discovered it was a coating on the inside of the tank that allowed the bacteria to thrive.

That could be one possibility, bacteria growing in the loop somewhere.

Here is a link to it

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A product called SEAFOAM works well in eliminating ALGAE in Diesel fuel here in Texas.
It's available at Autozone, O'Reilly's, NAPA and other such stores.

------------

By the way.....

I see this is your first post to the forums, Texascowboy4x4.

Welcome aboard :grin: Find a bunk, stow your gear, and prepare to get underway :driver:

Before others tell you.... the SEARCH button (see top of every SS page) is your friend. There are literally THOUSANDS of topics that have been covered in these forums over the years. You will learn MUCH about your truck by wandering around for and reading topics of interest.

Again, WELCOME !

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
what filter ?

engine on head or frame mounted behind left front wheel . ?

there is always engine and most have the second on frame .

tank could be clean but BIG filter on frame could be full and blowing junk up the line.
The 939 series had the filter under the left front fender, then a big in line, then the filter attached to the head, the filter under the left front finder was a left over 809 series idea that worked GREAT, but was a hassle to change, SO then the inline POS that was 1/5 the size on the left front fender one came to be, then when the a2 came in which even had a smaller POS filter, The a2 POS filter was totally inadequate so the inline POS was added, again not doing much better then the OE filter (both were to small for the needed flow, SO the ORIGINAL 809 left over under the left fender filter was REinstalled, this filter could handle the need flow

I have seen 1 filter trucks, 2 filter trucks (any combination of above), and 3 filter trucks. , As long as the BIG filter is used there was no need to pull the other filters from the system.

Last edited:

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What does the crud in the filter look like? If black and composed of tiny nodules then suspect asphaltenes. There are commercial additives to disperse the asphaltenes. I use the Cummins-Fleetguard version: https://www.cumminsfiltration.com/html/en/products/fuel/additives/asph_cond.html

I was only getting about 200 miles per filter on my U-1300 Unimog. Engines which recirculate heated Diesel back to the tank will see this effect due to heating of the Diesel in the tank.

Texcowboy4x4

Thanks for all the help Yall!! I really appreciate it...

The fliter that keeps getting clogged is the small inline filter right before it goes into the motor. I have changed the big filter twice a well. I know I should go ahead change it again as well.

thanks again for the help

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What does the crud in the filter look like? If black and composed of tiny nodules then suspect asphaltenes. There are commercial additives to disperse the asphaltenes. I use the Cummins-Fleetguard version: https://www.cumminsfiltration.com/html/en/products/fuel/additives/asph_cond.html

I was only getting about 200 miles per filter on my U-1300 Unimog. Engines which recirculate heated Diesel back to the tank will see this effect due to heating of the Diesel in the tank.
Common issue for hot, high volume return systems, not an issue for the Cummins in the military iron.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks