• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel Filter upgrade...and now it wont start :-D

Chinookpilot77

I just put on Jatonka's fuel filter kit on my deuce and tried to bleed from the top valve on the filter housing and I'm getting no diesel at all from that valve. Am I doing something wrong?

The change out was incredibly easy, but now I can't get my normally VERY easy starting deuce to fire up. Any help would be appreciated.

Srjeeper

Questions

1. Did you fill the filters before installing them?

2.Did you turn on the master switch and let the pump run for a while before bleeding or turning the engine over?

3.Can you hear your in tank pump humming to indicate it's pumping?

DieselBob

1. Did you fill the filters before installing them?

2.Did you turn on the master switch and let the pump run for a while before bleeding or turning the engine over?

3.Can you hear your in tank pump humming to indicate it's pumping?
:ditto:

That was how I discovered my in tank pump was fubar. Although the pump motor ran the coupling to the pump impeller had broken.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The impeller actually is not connected to the motor. It is magnetically connected.

DieselBob

And that's exactly what went bad. The magnet that was held by adhesive in the cup on the bottom of the motor came loose so although the motor ran like a champ the magnet just laid there in the bottom of the motor housing.

Attachments

Chinookpilot77

I did pre-fill the filters 3/4 of the way.

I did run the ACC switch on for 1 min multiple times to get fuel to the filter prior to trying to start.

I think I heard a humming, but honestly wasn't sure over the low air buzzer.

Tomorrow I plan on taking my multi-meter, starting at the tank and checking spark, then moving to flow from the tank all the way to the injectors if I have to.

I did pull the supply line from the filter assembly and ran the ACC switch again and did not get any flow...so I'll have to figure this out....

Was just hoping that maybe there was something completely simple i was missing...but I did all these things you asked...oh well..back to the hard stuff....

frodobaggins

If it's not working, until you get a replacement, I filled my filters almost all the way, and used some very minimal shots of ether to get mine to go until it had prime again.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The submersible transfer pump is not working. I connected temproarily connected another pump at the tank, got it running, then ordered another pump.

Chinookpilot77

I luckily have another tank that I might be able to salvage the pump out of.

Just curious, but would the pump not working cause my truck to die when going from high RPM to low RPM? I was having that issue. The truck started extremely easily, idled fine, ran down the road like a top....but when I let off the gas and went back to idle, the truck died.

This sounds like it could also be caused by the inop tank pump.

Srjeeper

Before you go pulling things apart, check the fuse on top of the pump.

It's under the little square cover on the top of the pump, but there's a short wire you need to be careful not to break when you check it out, so go easy when you open it up.

To check for flow, you can crack a fitting loose on the line coming out of the pump to the primary filter.

Good luck.........

Jake0147

If the in-tank pump is working, (nor running, but "working") then no priming, purging, no messing around with anything... Drain the original filters, replace them with what you're replacing them with (unfilled, zero cross contamination, zero mess, zero of the "balancing a filled filter without making a mess" game. When the filter(s) are in place, flip the master switch on and leave it on, open the bleeder at the top of the secondary housing a quarter turn (regardless of what filter was changed), and when it's done purging air, close it. You are done.

If it's not that easy, either you are doing it the hard way, the transfer pump's not working or not working correctly (the in-tank pump) or there is a stopped line between the tank and that point which must be corrected.

Start with the secondary bleeder. Remove the screw entirely if you want, or just loosen it, depending on how much evidence you need to see to be convinced. Is there flow?
If not, remove the supply line at the tank, adapt a clear hose that you can run up to a visible location and back down to the fuel tank filler cap. Is there flow?

This should either lead you to an answer, or allow you to move on to another system besides the supply section.