• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel Filter/Water Separator Mods?

kgtgv4

Hello Gents, I recently picked up a low hours rebuilt MEP802A, and went to change the fuel filter…I tried every tool in my tool box but couldn’t get the filter off. So I took the paneling off and just removed the entire housing. I've basically stripped the filter down to the metal that contacts the housing at this point. I cant possibly seem to take it any further with out damaging something or more likely myself.

The question is, now that I have it broken down this far, should I change anything? Or go back with what should be there?

I read someone swamped to a FM100 setup, has anyone else done that or recommend it? I am not even really sure what this is, but researching it now.

Cheers!

PS - I tried uploading a photo of me just lighting the filter on fire, slightly out of curiosity and mostly out of anger. But I am not sure I can upload yet. It still didn't budge.

nextalcupfan

My first filter change when I got my 803a was pretty bad, bascially destroyed the filter and pulled/strained several muscles. But I just used motor oil on the oring when I put the new filter on.
I just did another change a couple months ago and had no issues.

Also woo finally someone else in Missouri!

Ray70

Sounds like you mean the notoriously tight fuel / water separator.
Once you get it off you are in the clear as nextalcupfan said. Add a little oil to the gasket, install it firmly without cranking it down too tight and you will be good from no on!
And while you're in there you should change the final fuel filter located near the bellhousing and it is much simpler to change!

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello Gents, I recently picked up a low hours rebuilt MEP802A, and went to change the fuel filter…I tried every tool in my tool box but couldn’t get the filter off. So I took the paneling off and just removed the entire housing. I've basically stripped the filter down to the metal that contacts the housing at this point. I cant possibly seem to take it any further with out damaging something or more likely myself.

The question is, now that I have it broken down this far, should I change anything? Or go back with what should be there?

I read someone swamped to a FM100 setup, has anyone else done that or recommend it? I am not even really sure what this is, but researching it now.

Cheers!

PS - I tried uploading a photo of me just lighting the filter on fire, slightly out of curiosity and mostly out of anger. But I am not sure I can upload yet. It still didn't budge.
Howdy,
Start here in this thread. The 1st post has your filter info. The 2nd has quick links to things of interest. 3rd has the links to the manuals here.
MEP-802A MEP-803A Filters and Parts | SteelSoldiers

Here is the fuel filter info which you have found first hand. :)
MEP-8xx Fuel/Water spin-on filter | SteelSoldiers

Welcome.

kgtgv4

I've found my people...

I literally don't think its coming off the housing and I don't see a part number for the housing. GreenMountian has the fuel filter housing but I don't see a fuel/water separator housing. The Engine Parts TM doesnt seem to address it either. Am I missing something?

This is where I left it...

Untitled.jpg

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've found my people...

I literally don't think its coming off the housing and I don't see a part number for the housing. GreenMountian has the fuel filter housing but I don't see a fuel/water separator housing. The Engine Parts TM doesnt seem to address it either. Am I missing something?

This is where I left it...

View attachment 861026
Howdy,
I had 1 unit which I had to take the whole block off as well. I was able to put the block in a bench vise, and crank on the filter section. Yes, I thought I was going to break something. I finally got the filter off. It seems they were put on dry, and tightened by king kong.
Keep working on it. Some way, some how you will finally get it off.
Good luck.

uniquify

I think the filter base is very similar to the Donaldson P560382. The main difference I see is the location of the bleeder screw.

I put one of them on a custom trailer because it used the same filters as my 803.

You can probably find them cheaper if you shop around.
41g4d5ub-IL._AC_SY1000_.jpg

kgtgv4

I think the filter base is very similar to the Donaldson P560382. The main difference I see is the location of the bleeder screw.

I put one of them on a custom trailer because it used the same filters as my 803.

You can probably find them cheaper if you shop around.
View attachment 861034
Thanks! I'll check my local Fabick Cat shop here I think they are a distributor for Donaldson.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you! I'll try a bit more to find something local, but might be reaching out soon for this one.
$40 plus the ride down to you. Just send me a direct message if/when you decide. Would include the right angle fittings as shown. Thanks

kgtgv4

Got it! Turns out you just need a bigger hammer. I ended up putting it in a vice and using a VERY large pipe wrench. I had to take off the fittings so that I could get the wrench around it. Hopefully I have better luck getting it back together and started. Thanks all for your input.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
On the fuel filter, little canister cup, make sure you line up the top lip gasket. Even a dab of grease to hold it it place. The also line up the cup top edge when putting it all together.
Make sure your batteries are fully charged.
Good clean diesel in the tank, all fuel lines in place, all filters in place, Turn the S-1 to "Prime & Run" let it sit there for a long while to bleed the air out of the fuel lines. It will fill the filters, and run back to the tank via the fuel return lines. (A good 5 minutes will do.)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks