• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel filter

sermis

Is there a fuel filter that will screw on in place of the can on the primary. I was making a 40 mile trip and it cloged today. pulled in the ditch 4 times, drained, and was able to make it. No warning just stopped running. Got a replacement but it is kind of a pain to replace. Would be much eaiser to just spin off and back on. I know I can replace the housing but too lazy. I have a replacement housing in the shop for the fuel and water. Been there over a year and still have not done either.

acetomatoco

What could be in your tank to be causing this....?? There is room under the filter for about a quart of junk and with daily draining you should have no problems unless your tank is full of rusty fines. Then you know what you have to do....

sermis

There is a little bit of everything in the tank. If it will burn as fuel I use it. I don't think the barrel was washed out good. It was a plastic barrel from a carwash and might have had clear coat residue left. I have double filters with water catch from my storage tank. I also dumped in a lot of diesel fuel conditioner before this trip which might have loosened up some stuff. These filters are the same I put on when I got the truck. Not sure on mileage but 4,000+. I never cleaned the tank when I got the truck.

I have seen post where the filter base is changed out to a screw on but have never seen one where the base has been adapted for a screw on filter.

sermis

RE: fuel filter

I take it the adapter bolts to the stock housing and the filter screws onto the adapter?

Post or PM me a price.

I am also trying to get the play money to do the oil filters.

jatonka

RE: fuel filter

The adaptor attaches exactly the same way the original cannister filter housing did. You install the filter adaptor to the existing mounting bracket, then spin the new filter on and you're set to go. The drain cock at the bottom serves the same purpose as the drain in the bottom of the original, drain water sediment, check to see if in tank pump is really pumping, and get fuel in your face.

sermis

Yes the pump is pumping. After replacing the primary I opened the secondary to get the air out. Took a shower.

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
Go to the resources tab at the top of the page and click on technical articles. Devilman did an article with all part numbers needed and step by step pics on how to install the parts from napa. I just purchased a filter base and filter from napa and it was around $70 out the door with tax.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
FWIW, I find it interesting to compare features with what was designed into the 1960's M656 8x8 series vehicles, which were specifically designed for low maintenance. Here is the solution for the primary fuel strainer/water separator that requires nothing but a turn of the handle now and then. It has an equivalent micron rating of 50....probably too expensive now.

Attachments

jatonka

fuel filters

For those interested in spin-on fuel filters, I have the primary adaptors for multifuel deuces and 5 tons in stock. They are a very easy change-over, no removing the old filter base from the frame rail, along with the 2 copper lines that often seem to get bent a bit and not line up to thread back in. No installing another filter base in place of the old one to put on a spin-on filter. Just remove the cannister and old gasket, install new gasket and adaptor and spin the new water separator/primary filter on. Prices have not increased, actually, a bit lower. JT