• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel Gauge and Temp Gauge Troubleshooting

WantOne

Had a couple of gauge issues. Temp gauge would work if you tapped it, but would vibrate all over. Ordered a NOS gauge (dampened).

Fuel gauge didn't work at all, ran through the troubleshooting steps. Voltage to gauge is good, wire to tank sender is good, tank sender ground is good.

In hindsight I should have maked which wire goes to which terminal on the gauges, but I didn't . It does appear the fuel gauge was connected backwards because the old one is labled "ign" and "send" and I know the +vdc was connected to the sender terminal. Haven't received the new fuel gauge yet, so maybe it will be lableled.

As for the temp gauge, I do have the new one and there is no labeling on the terminals. The old temp gauge isn't labled either so I'm not sure if it matters?

Now to my question, I do see that the rubber connectors on the gauges are different. One is smooth, the other ridged, Does that mean anything? I know it's just a resistance measure, but was thinking it had to be in the right direction?

I read some other posts about a dedicated ground wire from the gauge terminal to ground, mine does not have a dedicated ground wire connected to the gauge.

Attachments

Heavysteven

Not sure I can answer all this but here goes.

Run a ground from the fuel gauge to the dash. It's need a good ground.

When my coolant temp gauge stopped working I just replaced the sending unit. Same thing with the fuel gauge.

As long as the plugs fit I would not worry about it.

WantOne

Heavysteven,
I used your thread to troubleshoot my gauge, nothing makes it move at all. I have 24v power and the sender wire is good. Pulled the ground by the tank off and cleaned it as well.

Still wondering if the different types of rubber boots mean anything, especially when the gauge isn't labled . I'll have to look at my other gauges and see if the power wire 27 is connected consistently to the ridged or smooth connector. Hopefully they are all one way or another which would lead me to believe the temp gauge would be the same.

WantOne

Looks like I have the only two gauges out that have a power and sender connection so I can't see if there is any commonality to the ridged vs smooth connector. Unless someone has pictures of which wire is connected where I'll just have to experiment and hope I don't ruin a new gauge doing it.

WantOne

Thanks, using search with "ribbed connector" found a couple of other references. Seems to be conflicting information on the ribbed vs smooth connector along with posting of a PS that is identified to be incorrect.

To hopefully clarify the issue I've edited the PS so that is shows the "ribbed connector" associated with the sending unit, and the "smooth connector" associated with +vdc (battery).

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks