• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel Gauge, dash lights, etc - my new M1009

Brutusdog

Just picked up my new M1009 (first one). The Fuel gauge does not work. Is there a normal problem that these have? What should I look for first?

Also, there are no dash lights, is that normal? Is it part of the blackouts system? Maybe related to fuel gauge?

As I have never owned one of these, do they normally have a rear view mirror?

The markings on the back read "WIARNG MATES" . I figured out the Wisconsin part, what does the "Mates" mean?

I love the truck! Runs great. Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated.

Merry Christmas!

dependable

First check fuses. Second, check that the ground wire for the dash harness is hooked up. It is on drivers side, to the left of the fuse box, a black wire goes to a 3 or 6 prong ground terminal bolted to body.

topgun217

Where did you get yours from? When did you win the bid (if you got it via. G.L.) How long did you have to wait?
I won mine in November and awaiting the EUC approval still! I was hoping, I know hoping, I might get it in early Janruary.

Brutusdog

I got it from a dealer in Moscow Mills, Missouri (St. Louis area) Fruendly Auto Source, the guys name is Brad Fruend. He has a lot full of M1009 and M1008. Saved me the trouble of having to wait and not knowing exactly what I was getting.

boomer431

If all else fails check ths dash light bubs, When I got mine all the bulbs were either burnt out or had a bad connection which is a common problem with those cicuit boards. Also rotate your headlight switch , you can also have connection problems here. And yes they do have a rear veiw mirror.

4bogginchevys

most of the trouble I have seen with fuel guages are the sending unit is just bad, or the ground attached to the screw on the lid has rusted/worn off, or the other end of the ground wire that attaches just inside the frame is corroded or broken off. The guage itself has rarely gone bad in my experience....it's always a ground. In a rare case the wire feeding power had gotten pinched up near the transmission, lucky for you it's an old truck, try to diagnose an electrical problem on a new truck!:-D

K9Vic

I noticed tonight that my new to me M1010 has no dash lights, so this post was great help for me to know where to look. Granted only after about 100 miles driving it I can tell my speed and it can not go over 55mph, I was OK in t he dark with no visible speed gauge.

I will post what my fix was when I get a chance to look at it this weekend.

noel.isaac

mates

Mobilization and Training Equipment Site. Basically, they are military run maintenance shops located at Fort's and Camps in the US Army, and they employ alot of military and civillian mechanics

K9Vic

Brutusdog, did you find the issue with your dash lights?

Mine was just a fuse, it is a 5amp fuse marked dash lights near the bottom of the fuse panel. I replaced it and all the lights work fine for me.

Brutusdog

dash lights

Nope, wasn't the fuse. That was the first thing I checked. It's been so dang cold, I haven't been able to spend much time looking at it. Fuel gauge not working yet either, BUT, after reading some of the other problems people have, I feel pretty lucky.

ROYALPANE

Seems like im in the same boat as you. I just picked up an m1009 a few weeks ago and had the exact same problems... and then some.

The fuel gauge seemed to be stuck at 1/2 tank when i got it, filled it up to make sure i would have gas to get home and for a few hours it was in the same spot. Then it went to full then 1/2 then empty then back to 1/2. I figured it was something with the sending unit but haven't had a chance to look at it further under the truck. The only weird thing is with mine when i hit the glow plug heater to start the truck, the gauge seems to go where it is supposed to be ( fuel level wise ) then back to 1/2 tank slowly once i let go of the button and get the truck running. Crossed wires, not grounded properly... what could this be?

As for the lighting on the speedo and fuel gauge, mine werent working, so i pulled all the fuses, blew them out with the air compressor and replaced them all... no luck. Pulled the dash apart and checked all the bulbs, they were good to. blew the 25 years worth of dust and dash board remnants out, put it back to together and tada i now have light, very dim but lights none the less.

Now since then the gen1 light is remaining on all the time. very bright when i start the truck, and as soon as i put it in gear its really dull but stays on constantly. and then the gen 2 light flashes whenever i come to a stop. I was reading into converting it over to 12v but haven't made up my mind yet. Any suggestions to what this can be, gen2 is probably going bad but gen1 was rebuilt 2 months before i bought the truck.

Other than the electrical dash issues. some leaking weather striping and faded paint it runs like a champ.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks