• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel gauge goes to half

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
My HMMWV people
My fuel gauge reads between 1/2 for full tank and 1/4 for empty.
Where do you suggest I should start my troubleshoot
K
gottah say it here

goberment vehicle
FAA say it should read empty when MT
other that that it can indicate whatever it wants to
This is Not a Toyota
It is a tacticle military vehicle with a supply line of 6000 miles to home
fuel is not a problem
the enemy is

beckel

Had the same issue...your sender is bad. Its a cheap fix if you do it yourself but the labor involved is significant. To do it right, you should count on 3+ hours. You will need to drop the tank. I used the opportunity to swap to the newer A2 tank with all new fitting. now reads 100% at full and is fairly linear all the way down to empty.

good luck.

NormB

K
gottah say it here

goberment vehicle
FAA say it should read empty when MT
other that that it can indicate whatever it wants to
This is Not a Toyota
It is a tacticle military vehicle with a supply line of 6000 miles to home
fuel is not a problem
the enemy is

I figured this is why the gov't went with a clear-ish tank. If you see fuel it should run despite a wonky gauge.

ryanruck

Had the same issue...your sender is bad. Its a cheap fix if you do it yourself but the labor involved is significant. To do it right, you should count on 3+ hours. You will need to drop the tank. I used the opportunity to swap to the newer A2 tank with all new fitting. now reads 100% at full and is fairly linear all the way down to empty.

good luck.
If he's lucky, his truck might have an access hatch cut into the deck like mine did. Then you just need to lower your tank a couple inches and it will come right out through it.

This is the only shot I have handy of the access hatch on mine from when I was putting Monstaliner down in the tub:

IMG_1415.jpg

I replaced my sender and gauge because it would read fine down to half a tank then start getting erratic below that. Much better now. I had both my sender and gauge replaced in about an hour. Unfortunately OP, if you don't have that hatch, you will have to fully drop the tank like beckel said. Both sender and gauge are pretty cheap though. I think I picked up a NIB sender for $25 and NIB fuel gauge for $20 off eBay.

Chagawaga

If he's lucky, his truck might have an access hatch cut into the deck like mine did. Then you just need to lower your tank a couple inches and it will come right out through it.

This is the only shot I have handy of the access hatch on mine from when I was putting Monstaliner down in the tub:

View attachment 662839

I replaced my sender and gauge because it would read fine down to half a tank then start getting erratic below that. Much better now. I had both my sender and gauge replaced in about an hour. Unfortunately OP, if you don't have that hatch, you will have to fully drop the tank like beckel said. Both sender and gauge are pretty cheap though. I think I picked up a NIB sender for $25 and NIB fuel gauge for $20 off eBay.
I have a wooden board bolted down all the way between the seats not sure why (two man HMMWV) and its covering a possible access hole. Ill have to do some unscrewing tomorrow.
all I am seeing is 120 dollars sender and 50 dollars gauge. guess gotta get lucky

Last edited:

ryanruck

I have a wooden board bolted down all the way between the seats not sure why (two man HMMWV) and its covering a possible access hole. Ill have to do some unscrewing tomorrow.

one question though what is NIB is that a brand or a new type of sender and gauge? all I am seeing is 120 dollars sender and 50 dollars gauge.
NIB = New In Box

I guess you could consider them NOS (New, Old Stock) too.

Check your PMs.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks