• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel gauge needle broke

nayrbrellim

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So I drove Juhnay (my bobbed 5 ton) to work today. We are taking her camping tomorrow about 160 miles away thereabouts, so i topped of the drivers side tank last night. Problem is my fuel gauge needle always bounces around alot on our dirt road to our house and sometimes while driving regular roads even. Today it bounced so much the actual needle broke off LOL. So I'll be using the dipstick method now - no biggy I typically visually check tank anyway but I was wondering if this has happened to anybody else and is there a fix to get an accurate fuel amount in tank?

thanks

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
You can use a fuel sender unit for a freightliner M2 to replace yours. The M2 uses a non pivot float type so its more accurate. They are 14 16 and 18in deep length types.

Replace the gauge with a 12v commercial type gauge if you aren't picky you can steal 12v off the low speed blower wire right beside it if it's a 939 truck

Yes it has happened.

nayrbrellim

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can use a fuel sender unit for a freightliner M2 to replace yours. The M2 uses a non pivot float type so its more accurate. They are 14 16 and 18in deep length types.

Replace the gauge with a 12v commercial type gauge if you aren't picky you can steal 12v off the low speed blower wire right beside it if it's a 939 truck

Yes it has happened.
This is a new repair for me, I am not a mechanic but I am starting to learn a lot from working on this magnificent beast. When we get back from camping trip I will definitely hit this up again.

Will this new fuel sender unit stop the bouncing needle on the fuel gauge I get when I drive?

Thanks

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
This is a new repair for me, I am not a mechanic but I am starting to learn a lot from working on this magnificent beast. When we get back from camping trip I will definitely hit this up again.

Will this new fuel sender unit stop the bouncing needle on the fuel gauge I get when I drive?

Thanks
Yes it's a tube type unit not a float that pivots and swings in the tank

nayrbrellim

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes it's a tube type unit not a float that pivots and swings in the tank

Circling back around to this - won't it already be wired for the current fuel gauge? Can I use that wire? Or am I missing something here? Also, as I was looking for a new fuel gauge to buy, I've seen some of them say that must be used with appropriate fuel sending unit? Does it make a difference which gauge I use? So long as 24V.

thanks,
Bryan

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Circling back around to this - won't it already be wired for the current fuel gauge? Can I use that wire? Or am I missing something here? Also, as I was looking for a new fuel gauge to buy, I've seen some of them say that must be used with appropriate fuel sending unit? Does it make a difference which gauge I use? So long as 24V.

thanks,
Bryan
Military Gauge is 24v sender on the M2 is not.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks