• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel gauge problem

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
The only thing that lies more often than a career politician is a deuce fuel guage.
NEVER, NEVER, NEVER trust one...even if it's brand new and just been installed.
(ask anyone that has been on a recovery with me).
There are all kinds of reasons for fuel guage failure/error. Bad guage, gunk in the tank, gunk on the sending unit, placement of fuel pickup tube (the higher off the bottom of the tank the less usable fuel you have in the tank.
That's why you have the 5 gallon "Jerry can" attached to the step. :)

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it stays at the "F" with the power off, the gauge is junk. If it slams over to "F" when it is powered up, could be a failed sender, a short to ground in the circuit, a poor connection..Wrecker is right, these gauges lie big time!

67Cougar

Take the wire off the sending unit where it attaches to the tank. If the gauge falls you know its the sender. It nothing happens its the wiring or gauge itself. This is always my first move when looking for fuel gauge problems.

Hope it helps.

datsunaholic

My fuel gauge "pegs" on occasion, if I wiggle the wires behind it it reads correctly (hard to believe but true). Somewhere in the loom it's grounding out. I zip-tied the wires in a position that the gauge works normally most of the time. Well, not normal, since it's strangely accurate.

My CUCV, now there's a gauge that lies.

TexAndy

Could be stale diesel on the sending unit that's causing a short on the resistor portion, fooling it into thinking it has a full tank.

Mine was like that and fixed itself eventually after having been driven around with fresh diesel splashing on it.

Amxhunter

Well, I hope stale diesel is not the issue, cause mines acting the same way and I'm running wmo and whatever else I'm given. have been for 2 years and now the gauge is on full when power on. I'll check the grounds.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks