• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel gauge !

bp m1009

So my fuel gauge hasnt worked since i bought the truck a week ago, i figured it was a bad connection or something. So i finally pulled the dash apart to take a look and theres no wires hooked up to the back of the gauge at all? Where do they come from and what colors are they? I also took apart the dash cause it doesnt light up when i put the headlights on so i cleaned the connector that plugs into the back and put dielectric grease on everything but they still dont work. But anyway my main question is about the fuel gauge wiring. Im not sure where to look in the TM's for it either.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are no wires for the fuel gauge. The gauge itself has threaded terminals that "slide" into the three metal connectors that are attached to the circuit board.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?43351-CUCV-Instrument-Cluster-Repair
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?46054-CUCV-Instrument-Cluster-Decoded

Check your fuse first and then check the ground wire that is attached to the 6-legged "spider" connector near the emergency brake.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?50551-CUCV-Switches-Diodes-Relays

Picture #2

Your ground may be attached somewhere close by.

The TM 9-2320-289-20 has a troubleshooting section for a non-working fuel gauge. chapter 2.

Last edited:

dangeroustyz

I have the same issue. Havent dug into it yet to find problem. I will when weather stops acting funny. Thanks Warthog for the useful information.

bp m1009

hey thanks Warthog those links and pictures you posted are great. I realized that about 10mins after i posted this how the fuel gauge actually worked just by contacting the printed circuit board, i didnt realize that at first. I did read Barrmans thread the other day too and used it today to trouble shoot my faulty gauge, but i feel like the problem is in the printed circuit board itself. before i pulled apart today the only light that worked were the low coolant Gen2 Brake and 4x4 and the speedo. i took it apart cleaned the connections on the circuit board and the conector and put some dielectric grease on them and now the backlights work (a few of em) and the high beam light and brake light. so i fixed some lights but then now my 4x4 gen1 and gen2 temp and speedo backlight dont work, nd fuel gauge still doesnt work :( i feel like its the circuit board. are they really that much?? can you get them from LMC?

cpf240

If you look up the GM part number for the printed circuit in the -20p or -34p manual, I forget which one it is in, you'll find that it crosses to one of them from LMC. I have not bought one to compare though. I posted that info a while ago in one of the custom instrument cluster threads. If you do buy a new printed circuit for it, please post the numbers you used, and what the results were.