• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel Gauge

Hollywood1980

Hello Guys

My fuel gauge has never worked properly since I've had the 08 it stays on full most of the time and when you are about to run out it starts bobbing back to empty. I'm guessing the sender is faulty, is it a big job to replace?

Russ

cucvrus

The easiest way I know is to remove the cargo bed bolts, unplug rear wiring, remove fuel filler hose, and rear axle vent from under side of bed. Slide the bed back a bit and support the rear of the bed on the frame to prevent rear bed side damage on the rear bumper. Or totally remove the bed and have at the frame while you have the cargo bed removed. Sort of like getting a lot done while the opportunity presents itself. If you have a garage bay to work out put a few(4) ratchet straps fastened to the ceiling and jack the ratchet straps up and support the bed. I have been doing this lately. The M1008 has the nice tie rings they work perfect 1 strap at each corner. Screw in eye bolts on beams of ceiling are good enough. You are only lifting about 200 lbs each strap if that. I think you can handle the fuel tank and sending unit once the cab chassis is free from the cargo bed.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The easiest way I know is to ...
Actually I think the easiest way is to perform the troubleshooting steps in the TM. You can reach the tank wires through the wheel well on the driver's side. Mine was doing what the OP describes and after the troubleshooting from the TM I replaced the gauge and it works great to this day.

cucvrus

I was thinking deeper and think it would be a good time to open up that tank and do the full job. That fuel sock is definitely in need of replacement. And I am sure it could use a bit of clean and green under there. That was where I was going. You can do it all with the bed off and still have time for other things that need attention while you are right there. Do as you wish. i am an over achiever on my projects. If it did not have a problem I would not go that far. but the problem has presented itself and now is the time to take care of it and a hundred other minor things while you have the opportunity. With the cargo bed removed you can go at it. In the end you will smile and be glad you did. What do you have to loose?

MarcusOReallyus

I was thinking deeper and think it would be a good time to open up that tank and do the full job. That fuel sock is definitely in need of replacement. And I am sure it could use a bit of clean and green under there. That was where I was going. You can do it all with the bed off and still have time for other things that need attention while you are right there.
Pretty hard to argue with that logic. I guess it depends on how much time you have to spend on it, and maybe on whether or not you have a place where you can do that. :beer: