• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel haulers / trailers / tanks ?

FFJR

New poster here, been looking around GL and wondering if you could help me search for some fuel trailer / skid options. Mainly model numbers etc for these rigs.

Looking for two seperate things: first - did a M101 (A2 or A3) ever have a 100-200 gallon fuel tank option?

Second, I have seen just once some 600 gallon elliptical tanks on GL (Sparta, Wisc), were these steel tanks? and in general are the ones going to GL due to age / normal replacement? or are they there because they are shot?

Anyone have the dimensions of the 600 gallon tanks? Would one fit in a M105 or M101 trailer. The idea is NOT to take it loaded down the road, but instead have it mobile when empty only, then filled only when stationary (temp use at a different farm).

THANKS!

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
You could get a m149 water trailer, I think there was a fuel trailer like the 149 but not sure, I thought it was a M150, I know in VN, we had fuel trailers like this but not sure if thay were 149s, or made for fuel trailers

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
A M101 would be too small for a loaded fuel pod......the Army would mount one pod in a M105 and gravity feed the fuel out....occasionally they would put duals on the M105 for stability.

The pods were nomally used in the Tanker Pump Unit (TPU) configuration. Two of the pods would be put in the back of a deuce or 5 ton cargo truck. There would be a pump unit and two sets of reels and hoses.

The unit was powerd by plugging a slave cable from the truck to the unit.

The whole units pop up on GL from time to time.......the pods are often sold seperatly from the pump unit.

FFJR

Thanks guys, thats starting to paint a better picture for me.

So the only option for a 101 would be to mount a 100 gal civilian transfer tank like I have in my farm truck now (aluminum cube).

105 I could get a 600 gal pod in and transport it empty between farms (would figure on adding some drop leg jacks in the corners for stability when loaded, not big deal) Only issues is - the air / hydraulic brakes vs 3/4 ton truck..... (this is starting to smell like justification for a 2.5 or 5 ton...)

The fuel transfer pumps - I see some that are yanmar diesel without reels, and then the ones with the double reels - Can I assume those are 24 volt since you mention utilizing a slave cable?

Edit: the other option then would be a water buffalo - M149, those are 400 gallon correct? And did I see they come in both steel and aluminum? Are there any variants ( -A2 or something) that have a standard truck tire like a CUCV or are they all the 5 bolt NDT's? Finally what type of braking system do they typically have?

Last edited:

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
All of the electric military units were 24 volt......if power was not available they could be configured to gravity feed if the receiving tank was lower than the TPU. Gravity feed worked well but took a lot longer to fill a tank up.

fasttruck

M105 trailer has air/hydraulic brakes = m35 or better to pull especially with 4800# of fuel in a 600 gallon tank which brings up the issues of placards , MSDS and CDL with hazmat endoresement if you go one foot on public roads.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's a thread I started on modifying a TPU for installation in a M105A3.
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/auxillary-equipment/55916-tank-pumping-unit-tpu-modification-help.html

I've got the hose reel unit in the back of the trailer but still haven't finished actually mounting it yet. I doubt I'll use the actual pump and probably just gravity feed or keep a small 12v pump on hand. I'm keeping the pump and reel unit just in case I need to get any distance away from where the trailer is but have no need to pump 50g per minute.

FFJR

Thanks for the link, voltage, and brake confirmations. I'm kind of thinking also of utilizing a 12 volt fillrite for pumping, which I've allready got on a 100 gal alum. That would simplify my spare parts & service, and give me compatibility with 12v trucks / tractors.

No plans to pull down the road with fuel at this time. Looking to be able to hedge and store more diesel during the winter primarily for use the next year. Issue with storing more fuel is this little thing called a SPCC that the EPA is starting to enforce this year on farms. Basically every tank 55 gallons and larger is counted, and if you are over 1250 or 1300 gallons, you have to have a registered plan with them, and depending on total size of some tanks they require stamped plans for secondary containment.. etc etc etc. One of the exceptions as I understand it is that MOBILE tanks are not included in the totals. So some are looking at acquiring older semi tankers or other such options.

The other fyi is around here one of the hottest selling items in the midwest is purpose built fuel trailers that hold 500 gallons or more in some cases. These do have the placards but for farm use they are finding some exemptions for the hazmat somewhere. I've got a CDL and have had hazmat in the past, so am familur with the requirments should they apply in the future.

So in all, it looks like I am going to keep a eye on those pods should some be available and see what they go for compared to a new tank elsewhere, or see if a tank trailer would happen to pop up as well.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks