• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

fuel heater

sht2kll

Howdy: I know there are threads on the topic of spin on filters. I found a lot of info. I am thinking on using one on my truck. I am going to be relocating to Northern Idaho and was wondering about the heating element in the fuel filter block of the stock filter assembly. What kind of temperatures require the use of the heater? That will help with the decision on weather to replace the stock unit with another or to try to find a spin on with a heating element, or if one is needed at all. I hope I can get this mess of a truck straightened out before moving. One last question, What TM has wiring diagrams for power distribution and Glow Plug power? Thanks For all the you guys have given me. You have been life savers( and not the candy type):D

Bighurt

Howdy: I know there are threads on the topic of spin on filters. I found a lot of info. I am thinking on using one on my truck. I am going to be relocating to Northern Idaho and was wondering about the heating element in the fuel filter block of the stock filter assembly. What kind of temperatures require the use of the heater? That will help with the decision on weather to replace the stock unit with another or to try to find a spin on with a heating element, or if one is needed at all. I hope I can get this mess of a truck straightened out before moving. One last question, What TM has wiring diagrams for power distribution and Glow Plug power? Thanks For all the you guys have given me. You have been life savers( and not the candy type):D
Diesel fuel has two critical temperature points, those are pour point and cloud point. Pour point is the lowest temperature at which the fluid will flow. Cloud point is the temperature in which the wax begins to crystallize within the fluid. The difference between the two points is usually 20°F. Typical Diesel #2 has a cloud point of 40°F and a pour point of 15-20°F, however based on the actual cetane value of the fuel the low on the scale might be higher or lower.

Some engines will starve at the cloud point, these are typical those models without a fuel heater of some sort. I don't believe the CUCV came stock with a fuel heater. What begins to happen at this point is the crystalline wax begins to plug (gel up) the fuel filters. Give it long enough and it becomes plugged. Other vehicles have issues at the pour point this is because the fuel simple begins to stop flowing in the fuel lines. The OEM heater simple can't do it's job if fuel isn't making it to that point.

There are a number of ways to reduce the chance of fuel "gelling". Usually Oct-Apr, gas stations in the northern tier offer a Winter blend. This is typically Diesel #2 with a additive or a blend of Diesel #1 and #2. This can be problematic because their is no guideline or posted formula at which the fuel has been blended or what the new pour and cloud points are. Furthermore I believe some stations actually change the label and not the fuel. Subsequently making more money and providing little benefit.

Other options include running Diesel #1 or adding your own additive at fill up. I've found my F350 is very problematic and very picky when it comes to fuel. So I run both. Straight #1 and an additive, this is probably the most expensive alternative but this year I've ran down to -19°F without incident, a task not accomplished in years past. Yes this is probably an isolated incident, yes Ford has been notified about the issue however there is nothing that can be done about my truck aside from trading it in and losing a lot of $$$$. I've also found that my truck is not alone with this problem.

My issues aside, the last option which I have the parts for just have not done the install yet, is an aftermarket fuel heater. There are various manufactures that make them, the local diesel place in town installs an aftermarket version of the HFCM that is stock on my truck. This is basically a 12 volt heater within a filter housing, they also have a water/fuel separator. These aren't cheap but they aren't very expensive either. As my current HFCM is operational I didn't feel that adding basically a second was a solution...

I decided after a lot of research an inline coolant heated fuel heater or significant size was what I needed. I went to a company called Arctic Fox, out of Delano Mn. The have a huge catalog of fuel heaters. I originally wanted a in tank heater however non of there models will work in the OEM plastic fuel tank in my F350. The models they offer are designed to bolt to a flat or curved steel fuel tank like one would find on nearly ever over the road truck and heavy equipment. The also offer heated fuel line, very $$$$ and I think the smallest line they offer is 1" inside diameter not exactly low flow.

The model I purchased is designed to heat B100. The model has 4 ports 2 for fuel at either end and two for coolant again at either end. The design allows fuel to flow in one direction while coolant from the engine runs the other. Inside of the chamber the fuel flows through the 7 inner pipes while the coolant flows through a water jacket surrounding the smaller diameter fuel pipes. My model also has a 120 volt preheat option so that you have heat ability while the engine coolant heats up to 180°F. In a return fuel system like found in my F350 supposedly the heater will allow the heated fuel to circulate and heat the tank. I'm not sure if that's actually possible or if it is how long it would take.

The best option is probably just to use an additive in winter and when the temps are supposed to get below 0°F fill up with #1. For a point of record I use Stanadyne additives.

Any questions don't hesitate.
:beer:

jdemaris

the stock filter housing has a heater in it? news to me.....
I don't recall exactly what filter-systems the military spec rigs all used, but . . .

Civilian 6.2 diesel trucks to mid 1984 use the Stanadyne Model 50 twin filter system, along with a separate 100 watt fuel line heater. 1st filter has 400 square inches of filter surface at 10 microns, and 2nd has 200 square inches.
The smaller secondary filter on trucks and Blazers is spin-on. On G and P vans, it's a #75 filter held on by clips.

Civilian 6.2 diesel trucks late 84 and newer use the Stanadyne Model 80 single filter system with a built-in 110 watt fuel heater that is thermostatiically controlled. This system is a water trap, heater, water-in-fuel indicator, water drain, and filter all in one.

Civilian 6.2 and 6.5 1993 and newer use the Stnadyne FM100 filter system. It is a two-stage unit in one filter housing and also has a heater.

blybrook

I don't know about a spin on heater, or a heater in the filter assembly. But I'm not that familiar with the CUCV, yet... I have not heard of them on civilian trucks either as a stock option, I do know they are available as an add-on though; including tank heaters.

My DD is a F250 Diesel, non-turbo. I run the mix blend from the station pump to -60*F without any fuel heaters on my truck. I do add an additive at every fill up. I utilize Diesel Kleen additives, grey bottles till -10*F, white bottles until it gels, then red bottles as appropriate. I have yet to utilize a red bottle of that stuff in my truck, it hasn't gelled yet! The fuel oil delivery guy states that I should start running the home heating fuel; but that's a hefty fine if caught, so I avoid it; even if it is better for the engine.

Some people prefer the Stanadyne additives, but I have yet to try them, so cannot comment to their ability.

I also add that same additive to my home heating fuel (#1 Fuel Oil); it's an above grade tank, so it gets chilly.

There is an added heater that is available to wrap around your filter assembly, looks like a battery heater with rubber straps to fasten it together. Will keep the filter warmed when you plug in your vehicle for the block heater, battery heaters, pan heater, etc... Runs around $80; so I have not yet added it to my truck, haven't needed it yet anyway.

Just my 2cents; good luck on the move & enjoy the scenery. I don't know if the station pumps there mix it as well as they do for us in the winter, but I know I don't have problems with it up here.

jdemaris

Most have factory heaters

I don't know about a spin on heater, or a heater in the filter assembly. ... I have not heard of them on civilian trucks either as a stock option.
I've never had a civilian diesel car or truck that did NOT have a factory-installed fuel heater. Then came standard on 6.2 and 6.5 diesel Chevys and GMCs. Same for Fords with International-Harvester diesels. They even came with the crappy Chevys with 350 Oldsmobile diesels in the 70s.

Even my little 1981 Chevy diesel Chevette has a factory installed fuel heater in the bottom of the filter housing. So does my 1985 Isuzu diesel PUP mini-truck.
All my 6.2 trucks, Blazers, and Suburbans have them. So do both my Ford diesel pickups and my Dodge-Cummins truck. All factory installed, NOT aftermarket.

Fuel heaters are mounted near, or in the fuel filter housings. Main purpose is to keep fuel from waxing. They don't stop an engine from dying when there are too many ice crystals. All 6.2 and 6.5 diesels have water-drains and opening them up once in awhile is supposed to be rountine maintanance. I suspect many owners never to it. And, it won't work when the water has turned to ice.

Out of all my trucks, my little Chevette has the most cold-fuel protection. Even has a thick-fuel bypass valve inside the fuel tank that lets fuel bypass the stariner-sock when too thick.

Since the US Military had thin JP8 military fuel in mind when the GM diesels were bought, maybe the heaters weren't included for military use?

The best fuel heating device in anything is the heat from the running engine. Some HD diesel trucks have high-flow fuel return systems so the engine warms the fuel, sends it back to the tank, and eventually warms the fuel in the tank also. The big problem in severe cold is when a truck has sat for a long time with the engine not running. Some places in extreme cold leave the engines running all winter, night and day.

blybrook

I've never had a civilian diesel car or truck that did NOT have a factory-installed fuel heater. Then came standard on 6.2 and 6.5 diesel Chevys and GMCs. Same for Fords with International-Harvester diesels. They even came with the crappy Chevys with 350 Oldsmobile diesels in the 70s.

...section cut out...

The best fuel heating device in anything is the heat from the running engine. Some HD diesel trucks have high-flow fuel return systems so the engine warms the fuel, sends it back to the tank, and eventually warms the fuel in the tank also. The big problem in severe cold is when a truck has sat for a long time with the engine not running. Some places in extreme cold leave the engines running all winter, night and day.
I'll take another look, but don't remember seeing any heater parts when I changed the filter on my 7.3. It may be up there further than I investigated. If it is there, then I stand corrected. I know that the manual refers to it and there is a fuse for it, but I just haven't seen it & it isn't integral with the filter itself.

As for running the engine during extreme cold, most people in Fairbanks do it at -20* or colder to have a warm vehicle to climb into after shopping (gas OR diesel). When it gets to -50* at my office, I'll let my truck run on high idle for an hour or so during the middle of the day to keep things thawed out; plus re-start it an hour or so before heading home for the day. Keeps things warmed up and moving freely.

The folks up on the North Slope leave the trucks run 24/7 in the winter unless they can be parked inside. Engines get replaced routinely as well.

sht2kll

correct me if I am wrong. I thought I saw in the TM's when looking at the filter Block assy for the M1008, that it had a heating element. Thanks for the input. I just might have to drop big bucks on the Racor490. It has an optional heating element.

gvaneck

sht2kll, I am going to be doing this to because my stock housing is leaking, I was looking at the standyne fm100, I've found websites that sell them but can't seem to find if they have water in fuel sensors, and fuel heater built in or if that is an add on. If anyone could provide some information it would be greatly appreciated.

sht2kll

GVANECK : I was looking at the FM100 because of the price. I did not see that they had an option for a heater. The Racor 490 can have an element added on. I like it because it has a priming pump on the top. All this brought on because I am having issues with my M1008. I am not sure if I am losing prime on the fuel or If I am having GP issues. I would like to have a better filtration system so I can use WMO in it.