• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel in the Oil

gbooth

While driving home from Veteran Day events I noticed that my oil presser seemed a little low. Normally it will Idle at 25 and run down the highway at 50 but on my way home it was holding on 45. Temp was running around 180. I got home and parked for the night. I was starting to unload and move truck to my shop when I thought that I should check the oil. I have replaced all the filters and changed oil just last month and only have 200 miles since then. When I pulled the dipstick the level was 2 inches over the full mark. The FDC has been bypassed on the pump so I am thinking that there must be a internal leak in the pump. Yesterday was my last event for this year so I have till March to fix this problem.

My Questions are
1. Is the injector pump the most likely suspect for this problem
2. Can any reputable Diesel shop rebuild this pump it is an American Bosh
3. Are rebuild kits even availably

I have a spare pump but I would want to have it rebuilt before I would install it as well.

gbooth

Yes it does have a flame heater I also thought that it could be a source of the leak. Ever since I put the engine in this truck this injector pump has leaked a little. This afternoon looking at the pump there was a considerable amount of fuel on the inner fender and a spot on the radiator shroud in front of the pump. I am going to do the oil analysis and will probably block off the flame heater I have never used it or needed it.

gbooth

I got the Oil analysis done and there was excessive fuel but no water or anti freeze were present. The reply was to fix the fuel problem and change the filters and oil. I have a rebuilt pump on the way and after I install it many of my fellow MV'ers say that I need to put fresh oil and filters then run the truck for a short while then change everything again to get any left over diesel out of the oil system. I don't mind doing this but could you use cheep oil being it will only be in for less then 10 minuets?
Thanks

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm sure Greg, it would also be of great interest to know how much fuel you would collect with that "rinse", an analysis would be nice to see on that batch.
After my fuel-in-oil discovery, I only changed the filter and the oil, no "rinse" cycle....probably should do another analysis myself....

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bjorn, Did you ever come up with anything on your knock? Sorry, didn't mean to jack the thread. I agree with Bjorn. No need to do a 2nd oil change. Just put a few miles on it and check the oil level.

nattieleather

Changing the pump is....well an adventure.....if you have it in a shop do yourself a favor and remove the front sheet metal and radiator and the drivers side fender. I had the fun task of changing my pump three times till I got a good take off that worked and I cursed myself all the way for not taking the fender off. Follow the manual carefully.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
therbert said:
Where do you guys send you oil for testing?
Thanks
Here is one place near you, also try NAPA for kits...about $15.00, which includes return postage.

Will, not yet, I have the oil pan gasket nothing else, wanted the bearing set on hand also, but my currently small monthly budget for the MVs doesn't let me do much. I use the truck around the yard and the knocking from the rear part of the engine is always a bit of a bother....

Attachments

EO2NMCB

Not sure on a M/F eng, but most diesels if you are getting fuel in the oil its most likely a injector or cracked injector cup.

gbooth

I thought that as well but the engine does not have a miss or is there any excessive smoke or fuel in the exhaust. One of the Diesel guys I talked to allowed that if you had a injector problem you would have a miss in the engine. I will install the new pump re-plumb everything by-pass the fuel compensator an the flame heater as well and go from there. The first thing I did was remove the fender and lights along with the radiator a 3/8 air ratchet makes fast work of the mounting bolts. I will be pro-active and replace the hoses and belts while I have the radiator off.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks