• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel Injection for the 230?

nnoreus

I was reading on here about someone that got 18 mpg from just putting a webber downdraft carb and tuning and rejetting. I am curious, has anyone put some sort of throttle body fuel injection on one of these engines? It seems it would be the best way to keep as much original as possible but still have a fairly good gas milage reliable driver.

Thoughts?

jimmystikx

I would say the easiest route would be modifying an intake to accept the injectors and throttle body from a Jeep 4.0L, and then see if there are aftermarket computers for it so you could tailor the open and closed circuits for the 230's rpm band. Current aftermarket TBI setups would be to large in both size and delivery, as they are more for sb/bb v8s.

ducer

You will have to look around but I believe there may be kits that could be adapted to work with your engine (Holly projection?). It will be a lot of work to adapt something to that engine and then to make it run right. Those engines by the design standards of today are mechanicly noisy which will give false readings for knock sensors. You would also need to add a closed pcv system and seal up all internal engine leaks aka modern piston rings and valve seals. Even burning the slightest amount of oil will foul the oxygen sensor which will cause other problems. I think the smallest Holley system flows 500cfm or less which would work for that engine but those engines are such low rpm natured I doubt you would realize the full potental of the EFI systems. In the long run if you want modern EFI put a modern engine in it it will be cheaper and easier.

Denny

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Holly projection would work for your idea. They have no knock sensor. Nor would it require a PCV. You'd have to burn a lot of oil to wipe an O2 sensor. But honestly, you'd be better off replacing it with a modern mill.

1958 M274

Maybe it's just me, but putting EFI and a computer on an M37 would kind of defeat one of the main purposes of having an M37... A simple, reliable vehicle!

ducer

To run an s10 type of system you would have to all crank position sensor, cam sensor, knock sensor, ambient air temp sensor. water temp sensor, map sensor and possibly mass air flow sensor depending on year. Also you would end up having a custom computer made and programed and the time to sort it all out not to mention money. Then there is the fuel system modifications, electric fuel pump, return line possible tank and sending unit mods depending on fuel pump type and location.

Go with the Holley system if you are bent on fuelinjection it will be way cheaper and most of the buggs have already been sorted out for you.
And I stand by my statement you will go through oxygen sensors if you don't seal up that engine internally. Put the oxygen sensor as close to the exhaust manifold outlet as possible. From what little I have read on the subject the Webber sounds easy and very reliable and a whole bunch cheaper. The less fuss part only comes after many, many hours, days and weeks of sorting it all out. Again Holley Projection system has most if not all of that done for you. I don't mean to discourage you if you are set on doing it than by all means do. Just know it will not be a plug in and play type of affair. With all that said it would be cool as all h ell when done!

Denny

Squirt-Truck

Master Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What about a K Jetronic? All mechanical, easy to tune, cheap, and you can keep the original carb body as the throttle plate. all it takes is an adaption for the air plate and drilling the manifold for the injectors. No sensors, no feedback, no electrical, except high-pressure pump.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I recall that name from a VW I had with FI. (wow, what a flashback...)

nattieleather

Would the computer for the system be 12V? Would that be a problem in a 24V system? I know you could tap one battery etc but I'm just kind of wondering out loud.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Use a 24 to 12 volt converter.

Tanner

The Bosch CIS/'K-Jet' mechanical injection won't work on the 230 due to Siamese'd intake ports on Dodge manifold - You'd need 1 injector per cylinder. Likewise, the EFI system from a Jeep 4.0 straight-6 engine won't adapt, as it also is a 6-port/6 injector setup. And a 'tuned Weber' will never give 18mpg on an M37 with stock gearing & tires - no way, no how.

T

Tanner

the guy claiming 18 has a fresh rebuild in the engine and has 4.89's in it and has tires that are an inch taller than stock.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?56047-18-mpg-m37-quot-plus-quot-more-power!!!&highlight=
I commented on same post in 2010... Squatch hasn't posted any results since that I have searched for. This type of mileage would be shouted from the rooftops if more than one person achieved same results. I'd question speedo accuracy in relation to posted MPG results after Final drive regearing & tire swap.

T

gerrykan

I don't put much stock in any fuel mileage claims.
People tend to lean towards the optimistic side when reporting fuel mileage.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks