• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel Injector Issue-LDT 465

Junglemist

I have an LDT-465-1D that was rebuilt by the military in the early 90's. When rebuilt new injectors were installed. They are the newer 2-hole AMBAC AKN 130SM 6844B2 injectors. Military part #12354296. The injectors are stamped 11-90.

I am overhauling my truck and took the injectors to a reputable diesel service company here. Their test gauge showed the injectors opening at around 1800 psi.

The engine overhaul manual from 1981, TM 9-2815-210-34-2-2, lists the correct pressure for the older injectors to be 3050 to 3150 psi. The AMBAC data sheet and parts list for these newer injectors (attached) lists 3600 to 3750 psi as the correct opening pressure.

Of course, there are extremely few of these engines in Belize and the diesel service company had never dealt with any of these injectors before. They think the injectors should be set around maybe 2500 psi. They also think it is okay for the fuel to only come out one of the holes.rofl

Did the military really set and run these newer 2-hole injectors at 3600 to 3750 psi? Is the spray pattern supposed to look like the older 2-hole injectors shown in the 1981 manual?
View attachment AKN 6844 A & B.pdf LDT 465-1C Spray Pattern.JPG

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The multifuel engine does send a liquid stream, not a spray. The stream flows down into the cup in the piston and is vaporized there (German MAN design) over a longer period of time than a spray would be. I have no idea what the pressure is supposed to be, but you may get some answers by downloading the "LDS Troubleshooting" manual in the deuce section of the TM posts.

brianp454

Hey Junglemist,

Thanks for posting some good info about these injectors. My engine makes a little popping sound under load (my imagination or is this normal?) and has a bit of a rough idle. I’m not sure if this is normal as I don’t have much experience with these engines. It also dies unless I give it a little push on the throttle when cold starting; this goes away after the engine runs a couple minutes. I’ve run a bunch of injector cleaner through it and changed all of the filters, but it didn’t change anything. So, I’ve been considering checking out the injectors. I have a local friend with a spare set of injectors and may have them checked out as you have at a local shop. I’ll let you know if I do that and whatever I learn from it.

I poked around on the web a bit and AMBAC used to be Bosch America. Update 5/15/2013: Mark at Diesel Injection Service in Portland, OR informed me that United Technologies actually purchased Bosch NA through a whole string of acquisitions (refer to the YouTube video for details). It’s not particularly important, but kinda interesting

I just called a local injector service outfit and they said they would test my injectors free of charge. I have the truck loaded with dirt now and need to unload, then do a parade Saturday. So, I’ll likely pull my injectors Sunday and have them tested Monday. I’ll update this post with my results.

What problem are you trying to solve? Is there a problem? Does your engine run well? It sounds like you checked them out and simple didn’t get the answer you expected. I’m very curious if someone else on this site has checked out the injectors as you did.

5/15/2013 update. I took two sets of injectors into Diesel Injection Service in Portland Oregon and spoke to Mark. He said they check old mechanical injectors free of charge. How nice, I would like to throw the guy some business someday when I need to as a thank you. Both sets of injectors we tested are two-hole designs. Mark looked up the part number and said they should test at 3000-3200 psi (207-221 bar) per the American Bosch reference book. He also said the reference book had B in the book, not B2. This makes whatever the 2 is a mystery.

On close inspection and test, the two orifices are different sizes! The larger is more to the side and the smaller is close to the end of the tip. The larger orifice also blows a larger cone of fuel that blasts out into a fine mist. I have a couple pics attached. They are not the best pics, but the best I can do just now and good enough. I used a set of minus pin gages and found the small hole to be about 0.015 inch and the large hole 0.018 inch. This confirms the sizes and reason for the spray pattern mentioned below. Also, notice in the pics that the pin gages line up just the way Junglemist’s pic suggests.

The first set we tested were the injectors that came out of my engine. I decided to test them in part to help answer Junglemist’s question and see if my injectors are working properly (curiosity). My injectors are stamped AKN-130SM-6844-B2 (note the 2 is not on some of them), 12354296, 3-8? (where the ? is illegible but sometimes looks like the left side of a 6 or 8, sometime a lower case t) with United Technologies USA in cast raised letters on the flip side. My injectors tested a bit higher than the spec at about 3200-3500 psi (220-240 bar) but did not leak. I supposed the only downside to the high pop pressure is if the injection pump does not reliably produce more pressure than the pop pressure (would it cause a miss?). I noticed these injectors have a brass tip.

The second set of injectors are stamped AKN-130SM-6844-B2, 12354296, 12-86 with United Technologies ITALY stamped (yes different than the 1[SUP]st[/SUP] set) on the flip side. This set was supposedly from a good running engine. They tested from one being OK but lower than the 1[SUP]st[/SUP] set all the way to holding no pressure and leaking horrible, and everywhere in between. Mark offered to rebuild them for $24/each, which I consider to be a fair price to go from a known bad set to a known good set. These injectors appear to have a stainless steel tip.

I posted a YouTube video of my findings also: http://youtu.be/uUFJ2s6XPlw

Note: This video puts the speculation to rest; injectors that are operating properly make a very fine mist vs. malfunctioning injectors make dribbles or streams.

I’m also planning to go into another local shop tomorrow to get a new set of return lines and compression fittings. I would like to replace mine (they are old and have been painted over). I think some people have clear lines so they can see into them, but not sure.

If any of you have a known "bad" injector that makes the engine run bad, I would love to get my hands on it and see how it acts on the bench. Please PM me if you have one.

Please give me a thanks or some positive feedback if you appreciate me running down all of this info!

May 29 2013 Update:

I checked around in the TM’s (WOW, can you get lost doing that!) and found the Trouble Shooting Manual LDS-465-1 Multifuel Engine by Continental Aviation and Engineering Corporation has some interesting info. If memory serves (forgive me if I goof), I downloaded it from the JA Tonka Site. If you jump forward to page 27 paragraph 5: “If drops of fuel can be observed to form on the nozzle tip at 100 psi below opening pressure or if the fuel seems to just flow from the tip in a solid stream, the nozzle is leaking an d must be disassembled and cleaned…” Paragraph 7: “If nozzle operating pressure does not fall within limits of 2800-2850, it must be adjusted, rebuilt, or replaced.” Paragraph 8: “When rebuilding the nozzle holder assembly and using a new nozzle spring, set valve operating pressure to 3000 – 3050 psi because the new spring will take a working set when the nozzle is operating in the engine.” This manual has a bunch of good info on the multifuel engines if you take time out to read it.

Last edited:

JasonS

The multifuel engine does send a liquid stream, not a spray. The stream flows down into the cup in the piston and is vaporized there (German MAN design) over a longer period of time than a spray would be. I have no idea what the pressure is supposed to be, but you may get some answers by downloading the "LDS Troubleshooting" manual in the deuce section of the TM posts.
I recall in other threads posts indicating that it is, in fact, a spray. I have not observed testing of one of these injectors in person; but I have a hard time believing that ~2kpsi through a tiny hole won't be a spray.

Katahdin

The LDS-465 troubleshooting manual lists the correct opening pressure as 2800-2850 PSI.

"Spray formation should be sharp with a rather solid pattern and the angles formed by the spray or sprays uniform."

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
The fuel nozzles on the multi tips are huge compared to other pencil tip injectors I've had in the past. If you've ever seen a multi injector pop off it's more of a stream than fine atomized mist that normal injector do. Also if you've seen the multifuel piston, you'll see how everything "lines up" to cause a swirl effect.

Junglemist

I appreciate the replies, but the issue is that these are not the same injectors used on the LDS-465. I familiar with the operating characteristics of the multifuel engines. I have all of the manuals and have read and studied them. The issue is that servicing of the newer AMBAC 2-hole injectors are not covered under any of the manuals because the manuals are older than the injectors. The only post 1990 manuals I am aware of only cover replacement of the injectors. And they all refer back to TM 9-2815-210-34-2-2 from 1981 for servicing and repair.

TM 9-2815-210-34-2-2 from 1981 contains detailed instructions for servicing the older shim-type and screw-type injectors. But the screw-type injector listed is not the same injector as I have and as are on many newer LDT-465's. Also the specs for the injectors contradict the manufacturers specs in the sheet attached to my first post.

I am also baffled by the fact that the injectors when tested where only at 1800 psi. If they were originally set to 3750 that is a huge drop in opening pressure.

The engine was resealed by the military in 2001, but has seen a lot of use since I acquired it. It has been run almost exclusively on crude oil and kerosene with some waste motor oil when available. The engine still ran excellently other than needing to press the gas pedal to start quickly. The injectors were pulled to be cleaned and tested and reset to correct pressure. To my knowledge they were not seriously malfunctioning.

I am overhauling the truck to deal with a stack of minor issues and to totally repaint. It is getting all new gaskets and seals in addition to a bunch of components.

Is anyone aware of post 1981 (I don't know exactly when the newer injectors were first used) military specs for servicing the newer injector model listed in my post above?

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
have you ever tested one of these injectors?? they most definately make a fine spray, not a stream at all. the spray is in a tight pattern so it goes into the cup, but all i have ever tested were the same when the worked at all. lower pressure is probably from dirt, i recall all i have worked with to be 2700 to 2800 psi. they should squeal when working correctly.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
The LDS-465 troubleshooting manual lists the correct opening pressure as 2800-2850 PSI.

"Spray formation should be sharp with a rather solid pattern and the angles formed by the spray or sprays uniform."

yes and this equally applies to the ldt or ld injectors. it is a solid pattern of fine spray.

JasonS

The fuel nozzles on the multi tips are huge compared to other pencil tip injectors I've had in the past. If you've ever seen a multi injector pop off it's more of a stream than fine atomized mist that normal injector do. Also if you've seen the multifuel piston, you'll see how everything "lines up" to cause a swirl effect.
You tested one and it was a stream?

svd dragunov

The engine was resealed by the military in 2001, but has seen a lot of use since I acquired it. It has been run almost exclusively on crude oil and kerosene with some waste motor oil when available. The engine still ran excellently other than needing to press the gas pedal to start quickly. The injectors were pulled to be cleaned and tested and reset to correct pressure. To my knowledge they were not seriously malfunctioning.
now that i find VERY interesting. what was done to the crude before running it?

Junglemist

Light sweet crude oil is found locally and exported for refining. I have burned some crude oil purchased locally that simply had the water removed. The BTU/gal isn't as good as diesel due to the light grade of the oil and the tars tended to cause carbon build-up.

Recently a local town power plant has started running a couple of large generators on crude oil. They purchase the oil from the oil company and they centrifuge it to remove many of the tars and contaminants. It is much better than the straight crude, but still it really needs the fuel rate adjusted to correct for the lower BTU/gal..

I have run many hundreds of gallons of straight crude in both forms as well as mixed with kerosene or waste motor oil.

svd dragunov

Light sweet crude oil is found locally and exported for refining. I have burned some crude oil purchased locally that simply had the water removed. The BTU/gal isn't as good as diesel due to the light grade of the oil and the tars tended to cause carbon build-up.

Recently a local town power plant has started running a couple of large generators on crude oil. They purchase the oil from the oil company and they centrifuge it to remove many of the tars and contaminants. It is much better than the straight crude, but still it really needs the fuel rate adjusted to correct for the lower BTU/gal..

I have run many hundreds of gallons of straight crude in both forms as well as mixed with kerosene or waste motor oil.
are you filtering it at all?

Junglemist

are you filtering it at all?
The centrifuged oil from the power plant is cleaned and filtered for use in their Caterpillar engine generators. I still run it through a multi-stage filter setup that I use for filtering waste motor oil.

My injectors certainly took a beating from my choice of fuels. I have a couple sets of new injector nozzles I will be installing and I am upgrading my fuel filtration during my truck rebuild.

Junglemist

Brian

Thanks for the updates and the PM. The video was helpful.

The United Technologies spec-sheet I attached on my first post list specs for the AKN-130SM-6844-A&B injectors and also the AKN-130SM-6844-B2 which was a different injector with different settings. I have all AKN-130SM-6844-B2 injectors made in Italy like some of yours. Apparently from your tests the military did set some injectors up to 3500+ psi as the spec-sheet shows for the B2 models.

The injectors from my engine were running below 2000 psi and appeared similar to some of your worst ones. I am sure that is due to my fuel and the age of the injectors.

I purchased 2 sets of correct AMBAC NBM 770138 nozzles for very cheap and am going to have my set of injectors set to the 3600-3750 psi shown in the spec-sheet.

For anyone looking for nozzles for the AKN-130SM-6844-B2 injectors; I got mine from:
http://www.american-milspec.com/p-291-new-fuel-injector-nozzles-ambac.aspx

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks