• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel injector Rebuilding/testing and TM and compression testing

TMNT

A brief update on my injector testing saga.

Colliflower is making a fuel injector pipe for me, to connect my pop tester to deuce injectors. I hope to have it later this week.

I bought 5 injectors and 6 injector lines from a guy on FB. The injectors are from 1985 and in need of service, but one of them will get cut up to become a compression tester adapter and 4 will get cleaned up and calibrated for spares.

Slowly, slowly making progress.

Now if I could stop working 7 days a week so I could get something done around here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TMNT

It looks like Colliflower got it right. I'll be able to connect it and try it out this evening. I'm confident now that I'll be able to get my injectors tested and calibrated this weekend. I'll post more after I get some done.

TMNT

I've been working a lot, but I did get a few late-evening hours to work on the injectors.

A) The pop tester finally works! That consumed my entire "patience" budget for the rest of the year.

B) I checked my injectors and they're all popping at about 3,000 except one. I had one that was intermittently sticking open. I fixed that and set it to pop at the same pressure as the others. They're all misting properly.

C) I tested the five extra injectors that I bought and found them all to be gunked up, sticking, and generally not working. I disassembled them a have them soaking in solvent.

D) Four of the spare injectors will be just that, spares.

E) One of the spare injectors will be gutted and converted to a compression tester adapter.

F) I plan to spend some time on it this weekend, take some photos and video, and get the truck running again. That's the plan anyway.

rustystud

I've been working a lot, but I did get a few late-evening hours to work on the injectors.

A) The pop tester finally works! That consumed my entire "patience" budget for the rest of the year.

B) I checked my injectors and they're all popping at about 3,000 except one. I had one that was intermittently sticking open. I fixed that and set it to pop at the same pressure as the others. They're all misting properly.

C) I tested the five extra injectors that I bought and found them all to be gunked up, sticking, and generally not working. I disassembled them a have them soaking in solvent.

D) Four of the spare injectors will be just that, spares.

E) One of the spare injectors will be gutted and converted to a compression tester adapter.

F) I plan to spend some time on it this weekend, take some photos and video, and get the truck running again. That's the plan anyway.

Good work. It is always a very good idea to keep spare injectors for any diesel engine you own. I have two complete sets of NOS injectors for my deuce.

TMNT

Finally made good progress on the injectors. I've got it down now where I can break an injector down, clean it, reassemble it and set the pop pressure, all in about 10-15 minutes.

All of my original injectors set up just fine. I did have one that was sticking open, so I hope fixing that also fixes my original concern with the uneven sound at steady speed.

I almost got my engine compression test adapter to work but I couldn't stop a persistent leak with one of my improvised connections, so I gave up on that for now.

https://vimeo.com/163957308

TMNT

Here are the spare injectors that I bought. They are pretty gunked up. I had one that still won't work right after cleaning it up so I gutted that one for my engine compression adapter.

The others cleaned up and worked pretty well.

The Stig

Honestly thank you for all this info. Now I want to get a spare set and make them right and swap them for the ones currently in the truck so I know that they are like they should be. This information was extremely helpful in pointing me in the right direction.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm still stuck on what pressure the injectors should pop off at. The manual says 3000-3050 I think yet if you look up the injector part number from bosch in their manual, i think it said 3500 psi. So which is it? Is popping off at the higher pressure harder on the hydraulic head/injection pump with the higher pressure?
3500 is going to give you better atomization and will not hurt the IP. Set them at 3200 up to 3500psi even though the book calls for 3200.

Last edited:

brianp454

I think I address this in my Youtube video from 5 years or so ago. I recall being told by the experienced guys at the injecotr shop that they set them high as the pop pressure generally drifts down as the mechanical injectors wear. Hope this helps.

3500 is going to give you better atomization and will not hurt the IP. Set them at 3200 up to 3500psi even though the book calls for 3200.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep all my NOS two hole Allen head injectors tested before install are popping at 3500. So how long the spring will hold it's set there is no telling but the IP can handle it and it can only help performance so at least 3200psi.

Last edited:

DaneGer21

It looks like Colliflower got it right. I'll be able to connect it and try it out this evening. I'm confident now that I'll be able to get my injectors tested and calibrated this weekend. I'll post more after I get some done.

Old thread, but how do I get one of these adapters?

@TMNT I tried to message you but it wouldn’t allow me

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks