• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel injector Rebuilding/testing and TM and compression testing

Ford Mechanic

I would like to test/adjust/rebuild and clean my injectorsbut have some questions.

Anyone out there got the Injector rebuild TM or info otherwise on how to do it? I haven't seen that info in the TM's I have down loaded. I have axcess to a pop tester that I just have to adapt to my injectors.

What's the best pressure to set them at? I read in a TM 3000psi but have seen other post they set theirs at 3500psi, was there a reason or big differance afterwards?

And lastly I'd like to check compession while they're out, anyone got suggestions how to cobble together something to check it? Or by chance might have the military one that you wouldn't mind loaning out at my expence of course?

I also plan on thoughly looking into all cyinders with a bore scope while all is apart.

Jeepsinker

You might try a tractor shop for the compression tester. Or try a diesel shop that has been around for a few decades and still has some old shop tools or older gray haired mechanics. ( no offense to the gray haired mechanics, you guys know your sh!t.)

ducer

Ford Mech,
You should do a tutorial of the disassembly, cleaning, reassembly and presseure setting processes. Make sure to add plenty of pictures also. :mrgreen: It would probably be useful for a lot of us out there. :jumpin:

Denny

brianp454

This is covered in separate thread(s). I even posted a youtube video on the checks on my injectors.

Take them to a local shop and they can save you the hassle and likely do it for a reasonable price.

Ford Mechanic

Thanks! Now I've figured out why I was missing stuff with my TM's, I didn't download them all! Fixed that now and thanks for the info.

I'm going to look the TM over tonight and if it looks like something I've got all the tools to do I'll be sure to take pics of rebuilding them. If not I'll have to start making phone calls to find a shop that can do it, but I'd much rather do it myself.

Ford Mechanic

Coastal Diesil quoted $40 to test and $60-80 a piece to rebuild depending on tip price! Seems to me someone found new tips on ebay any pointers on how to find the right stuff? And would it be good to change to 2 hole tips or is it more differances in the injector than just the tip?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also read the LDS Troubleshooting manual. It has good pointers for the injectors.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
From this thread http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?107021-Fuel-Injector-Issue-LDT-465 new nozzles are $1 if I can get the correct ones from this place http://www.american-milspec.com/p-291-new-fuel-injector-nozzles-ambac.aspx Now just to pull them and cross referance my part numbers on the injectors. Probably won't happen till next week as the wife wants a load of crush and run spread this weekend.
there is a reason they are $1. they are not available!

Ford Mechanic

Son of a ***** I didn't see anything on the site showing that but sure enough I tried to put them in the cart and it shows none in stock!!! Well at least it shows the Abac part number maybe I can find some if needed with that number.

I read through the TM suggested by eagle and got alot of good info, I don't see any reason why I couldn't rebuild mine here. No special tools or anything after the pop tester. So that's the project for next week I'm planning. Still haven't heard from anyone that adjusted theirs to 3500psi instead of the stock setting to see if it was benifical or otherwise.

Jeepsinker

I may be able to find you some injector tips. There is a military vehicle parts store on Entrance Road going into Fort Polk that sells surplus parts to the public. Never been in there, have heard they price gouge badly, but most places that sell mv parts do, so no different. I'll try and go by there today or tomorrow and see what they have.

Ford Mechanic

Hey thanks, but no need I just found some here close, I should have called them first! I'll share my source and price after I get the ones I need.

Ford Mechanic

Carbon!!!!

So I pulled all my injectors last night and I'm suprised it runs as well as it did with all the carbon obstructing the tips! I brought my bore scope home wanting to see inside the cylinder but couldn't make it that far in due to it. The pics show what I'm talking about. So now I also need to find something to clean the injector nozzle bores in the head.... Any ideas? I'm thinking if I can find a steel round wire brush to clean them with and mabey chuck it in a drill would work well. Just to be clear the carbon/coke deposits are below the copper sealing washers not the whole way up the injector body. Now to adapt the injectors to the shops pop tester.

Attachments

Last edited:

Ford Mechanic

I got a adapter all cobbled together for my injectors to fit the shops pop tester and have tested all my injectors. I have one or 2 that are only spraying from one port, all seem to leak 100psi before they open, and my opening pressures all vary from the lowest being 2500psi to the highest being 3400psi. So today I'll start dissasembling them one at a time for cleaning and adjustment.

I also got the lower part of the injector bores cleaned last night, a 10mm round wire brush works great for cleaning them.

I have a couple of pics but apperently the uploaded is broken at this time as it reads "Error on page" every time I select Add files...:???:

Ford Mechanic

I'm having trouble finding shims..... Do ya'll think large bore A/C shims will hold up? The shims for adjusting air gap for the clutch, the older cars had larger ones than the newer cars do, and I happen to have a assortment of them that I could probably make work. They're almost the same size so that's not the issue as long as they hold up to the beating inside the injectors if there is any????

Pics from last post,

Attachments

Jeepsinker

I don't see why not as long as they aren't real soft aluminum. I'm assuming you have the steel ones. All I've ever used were steel. Had some aluminum ones given to me once and they obviously were for something other than shims because that wouldn't keep a consistent air gap on the clutch.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks