• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel injector Rebuilding/testing and TM and compression testing

Ford Mechanic

I don't see why not as long as they aren't real soft aluminum. I'm assuming you have the steel ones. All I've ever used were steel. Had some aluminum ones given to me once and they obviously were for something other than shims because that wouldn't keep a consistent air gap on the clutch.

You were right about the A/C shims being ok for the job!

Ford Mechanic

Disassembly cleaning and inspection

Got all the injectors cleaned and reset. Tip when removing the nozzle end.... Break it loose and work the wrench back and forth as it comes off. There's alot of carbon between the nozzles and the cap nut. All pics are in reverse order for some reason!!

The TM states Do Not Touch the piece inside the nozzle... I did during cleaning all of them and saw no issues. I wiped them off with a rag cleaned the opening in the nozzle with a small piece of wire and some carb cleaner, and lubed everything real well during reassembly with airtool oil.

Dissasembley pics

Attachments

Last edited:

Ford Mechanic

Last ones.... I'll put them back in and road test next week after I get my washers from White Owl.

I found the Nozzels (didn't need any though) at White Owl parts and equipment in Kinston NC for $30 or $40 a piece

All pics are in reverse order for some reason!! Uploader has been giving me a fit lately!!

Attachments

Last edited:

Ford Mechanic

For anyone that looks to TM 9-2815-210-34-2-2 the torque spec is wrong in the manual for torquing down the injector. The manual calls for 150ft-lbs! I knew better but figured mabey they knew something I didn't. At least I was doing it 2 injectors at a time, cause now I've got to buy 2 injector hold down brackets. Lucky they were the weak link and not the injector. I didn't remove the injector and retest it, mabey it's ok and not damaged where you can't see it. I torqued the others down to 20-25 ft-lbs can't remember which. Mabey one of our Duece doctors or TM wizards can show me the failure of my TM-foo. I am referancing TM 9-2815-210-34-2-2 page 5-187

brianp454

Sorry to hear that. 150 ft-lb is way too much. Crap that's more than a beefy big block chevy main stud! I recall the injector hold-down screws as about 1/4-20, so I would think something around 20-30 to be in the ballpark. I'm glad you didn't strip a thread or break a fastener in the hole. I would throw out any screws you tightened that much - they will be strechy and loosen up on you over time.

It's my understanding that the TM's are not necessarily the current versions on this site due to copyright concerns. I think JA Tonka or others have updated TM's. If you use "JA Tonka TM" in your browser you'll find his site. Lots of good parts and info there. And a very nice guys that stands behind his products.

For anyone that looks to TM 9-2815-210-34-2-2 the torque spec is wrong in the manual for torquing down the injector. The manual calls for 150ft-lbs! I knew better but figured mabey they knew something I didn't. At least I was doing it 2 injectors at a time, cause now I've got to buy 2 injector hold down brackets. Lucky they were the weak link and not the injector. I didn't remove the injector and retest it, mabey it's ok and not damaged where you can't see it. I torqued the others down to 20-25 ft-lbs can't remember which. Mabey one of our Duece doctors or TM wizards can show me the failure of my TM-foo. I am referancing TM 9-2815-210-34-2-2 page 5-187

Ford Mechanic

Well it was a 1/2 head (5/16?) grade 8 bolt and I only got to 35 ft lbs or so and of the 2 hold downs one broke and the other is bent fairly good before I caught it. I'm real glad I didn't strip a hole too! I'll have too look into the manual thing though, I thought these were all the latest and greatest????

shenkmen

Well it was a 1/2 head (5/16?) grade 8 bolt and I only got to 35 ft lbs or so and of the 2 hold downs one broke and the other is bent fairly good before I caught it. I'm real glad I didn't strip a hole too! I'll have too look into the manual thing though, I thought these were all the latest and greatest????
Perhaps it should be inch lbs?

Ford Mechanic

Results!!!

Well man what a differance all that made!!! I made no other adjustments during this time so I could see just how much a differance it would make. Plenty of power now, a smoother exaust note(kinda sounded like a miss before), and over 100*-150*F cooler EGT's. Before I was having to really be careful about adding throttle input due to the high egt's, now I'm running less than 1100* accelerating to 55mph (45 mph indicated + 395's = 55mph actual roadspeed) before I was running a constant 1180*-1200* duning 5th gear accel. Even idle has cooled off before was 325*-370* now 290*-320*.

All my parts were bought from White Owl in Kinston NC, and I would have been out less than $15 if it weren't for things that I damaged.

Required parts were just 6 copper crush washers I think they were $7 + shipping

Other parts were 5 brass T's at the top of the injectors $36
Use adjustable wrench at the center straight up with a screwdriver stuck through the hole in the end of the
wrench to keep from damaging the soft brass

2 injector hold down brackets $8

Adapter for pop tester $30 I made it up from steel brake line and a certin union cant remember what type it was to join to the shops tester, a bubble flare and line nut worked fine on the injector. All gotten from Dixie Auto parts

This repair made one of the more noticeable differances in the way the truck ran. And just to note I did change the fuel filters shortly before pulling the injectors with no effect.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
the engine manual says 150 to 175 inch pounds = 14 foot pounds. it is a 5/16 18 bolt and if it was grade 2, the standard torque would be 12 foot pounds. seems plenty tight to me, my wrist is calibrated!

JasonS

Well man what a differance all that made!!! I made no other adjustments during this time so I could see just how much a differance it would make. Plenty of power now, a smoother exaust note(kinda sounded like a miss before), and over 100*-150*F cooler EGT's. Before I was having to really be careful about adding throttle input due to the high egt's, now I'm running less than 1100* accelerating to 55mph (45 mph indicated + 395's = 55mph actual roadspeed) before I was running a constant 1180*-1200* duning 5th gear accel. Even idle has cooled off before was 325*-370* now 290*-320*.

This repair made one of the more noticeable differances in the way the truck ran. And just to note I did change the fuel filters shortly before pulling the injectors with no effect.
The Oliver/ White tractor forums suggest pulling the injectors every 1k hours and testing.

Ford Mechanic

the engine manual says 150 to 175 inch pounds = 14 foot pounds. it is a 5/16 18 bolt and if it was grade 2, the standard torque would be 12 foot pounds. seems plenty tight to me, my wrist is calibrated!

Which manual did you get that from??? Was it one listed here or did you pay for it? The TM 9-2815-34-2-2 showed 150 ft lbs I know it's wrong but I would like to know where to find the correct info. That would be much appreciated! My bolts were 5/16 and grade 8 looked to be origanal to the engine. I torqued them to 20-22ft lbs think I should loosen them and retorque?

I took it on a 2 hr drive last night to get 2 round bales and talk about the differance! I could hold my speed up overpasses and bridges even loaded with #1000 and lots of wind drag! Temps never got above 1080*F and temp at 55mph ran a consistant 890*-920*F even loaded!

blisters13

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had been expectiing to re-work my injectors eventually but now I will do it after replacing the drivetrain fluids. Thanks to all for posting this thread and providing good info!

Anyone have an injector shop in So Cal they would recommend?

Ford Mechanic

I got all the pop pressures set between 3200-3400psi. The Tm calls for 300psi or less variation across a set. My goal was all to 3400psi but this was as close as I could get them with what I had.

shenkman Thanks for posting that I couldn't figure out how to do that and was sure everyone thought I was crazy:cookoo:

Last edited:

Ford Mechanic

Update.... Fuel mileage has increased not sure how much but definetly better than the 3mpg estimated before the fix. During my previous drive I forgot to record miles, but I drove for 1.5-2 hrs total round trip and only burned about a 1/4 tank or a litttle less! Yes I know the guage can lie but it makes me feel better! A note about all my testing, it was done with 80-90% diesil in the tank. I filled it this weekend to 60% WMO and am pleased to report the power and preformance has not changed except the smaller than expected rise in temp that goes along with WMO burning, about 50*F. Checked my max temp on my Aubins pyro which I reset upon reinstalling injectors and was pleased to see that the max reached had only been 1083*F:jumpin: plenty of room before my self imposed 1200*F limit.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks