• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel injector Rebuilding/testing and TM and compression testing

oddshot

I also got the lower part of the injector bores cleaned last night, a 10mm round wire brush works great for cleaning them.
What was your source for this brush? I'm thinking that a 10mm bore brush for cleaning firearms might work. The spiral ones in bronze would be less likely to scratch or damage anything.

Also ...

What was your source for the adjusting shims? You mentioned "large bore a/c". Do you know which a/c compressor these would be found in? Could these be available from a local auto parts or NAPA store?

Thanks.

Jeepsinker

Oddshot, you are looking for the a/c compressor clutch shims. They are not found inside a compressor per se. Don't remember if there ever was a particular compressor specified.

Ford Mechanic

What was your source for this brush? I'm thinking that a 10mm bore brush for cleaning firearms might work. The spiral ones in bronze would be less likely to scratch or damage anything.

Also ...

What was your source for the adjusting shims? You mentioned "large bore a/c". Do you know which a/c compressor these would be found in? Could these be available from a local auto parts or NAPA store?

Thanks.
The bore brush came out of a kit that had 30 or more in it, got it off the tool truck. I belive it was brass... possible it was stainless. And I don't see why a gun brush wouldn't work. It was the same type I just had a big kit at work for doing that sort of thing.

As far as the shims, I had collected them over quite a bit of time and had wired them all together in my tool box. Never know when you'll need to adjust one kind of thing. They used to come as a assortment kit with new a/c commpressors or clutches. But these were for the old style clutch for Fords say....80's to early 90's I think maybe even earlier than that. Today's are small diameter outside and inside as the old ones were large diamter outside and inside. I would try your auto parts store espesially the ones that have older parts in stock. I got lucky and just happened to have enough to do 1 set of injectors. Good luck!

oddshot

This is good information. I plan on doing my injectors once I locate a pop tester.
Plus 1.

I've been looking at the pop testers found on ebay. I assume that these are made in India because a lot of the reviews I find on the 'net refer to them as "Indian pop-testers". I've looked everywhere, but have not found any negative reviews from folks who have actually bought one. When I get some spare change together, this is the way I'm going to go.

It might be something to consider.

oddshot

Are these the ones that go for about $150?
Yes ... I just checked. They all look about the same and range from about $130 to $175.00.

While I was looking, I did notice an auction there of a genuine Bosch unit that is used. Right now its under a hundred, but the auction has 6 days to go. Who knows what the condition is.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I pop tested my injectors the other day and found they all popped/squirted at around 2400PSI. They did not chatter or or anything when they popped, more just a squirt out and acted like a pressure relief valve. I'm thinking if i just shim them up to the correct 3050 - 3200 PSI pop off pressure, I would be all set. it might have a better spray pattern then. If I needed new nozzles, are they still available through a diesel shop or would I pay out the nose for them? I do not have any shims and I am wondering if it is just better to take them to a diesel shop and have them put the correct shims in to get the pop off pressure adjusted. Thoughts?

Ford Mechanic

White owl equipment had the nozzles when I did mine but I was able to clean them all easily enough. I had a injector rack that holds the injector in a cup that I filled with carb cleaner while I was waiting to disassemble and clean them, and then the rest polished off with a rag soaked in carb cleaner and some air. The shims I used are A/C clutch shims, you just have to find them separately.... I was lucky and had a stock pile from replacing compressors and clutches. If you can't find any I'll see what I have left and can send them to you if you'd like. Seems like to me chatter was normal with these injectors and not something to worry about.

rustystud

White owl equipment had the nozzles when I did mine but I was able to clean them all easily enough. I had a injector rack that holds the injector in a cup that I filled with carb cleaner while I was waiting to disassemble and clean them, and then the rest polished off with a rag soaked in carb cleaner and some air. The shims I used are A/C clutch shims, you just have to find them separately.... I was lucky and had a stock pile from replacing compressors and clutches. If you can't find any I'll see what I have left and can send them to you if you'd like. Seems like to me chatter was normal with these injectors and not something to worry about.
You don't happen to remember what model and the year of A/C compressors you where working on do you ? Maybe a ball-park year ? I could then take them to NAPA and have at least a good chance of finding them. Thanks.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Or if you had the ID and OD of the shims, that would be helpful too. I looked online for A/C clutch shims and there were some that came up. We would need ones that were 0.1MM thick for my application, but I do not know the ID or OD I should have. I may not pull the nozzles out at all and just see how they pop test at the correct pressure. Thanks again for your help Ford Mechanic!

Ford Mechanic

Or if you had the ID and OD of the shims, that would be helpful too. I looked online for A/C clutch shims and there were some that came up. We would need ones that were 0.1MM thick for my application, but I do not know the ID or OD I should have. I may not pull the nozzles out at all and just see how they pop test at the correct pressure. Thanks again for your help Ford Mechanic!
Sure, I'll get them out of my tool box and measure them tonight if my batteries are good in my caliper. I didn't just use the 0.1mm shims on mine I had some thicker ones also, they come as assortment of sizes. I just mixed and matched until I got the right pressures. I've not been able to find the part number for the coil and clutch kit I used last week but it was for a.......Wrong info sorry....

Last edited:

rustystud

Sure, I'll get them out of my tool box and measure them tonight if my batteries are good in my caliper. I didn't just use the 0.1mm shims on mine I had some thicker ones also, they come as assortment of sizes. I just mixed and matched until I got the right pressures. I've not been able to find the part number for the coil and clutch kit I used last week but it was for a 95 Ford ??F-700?? with a 8.3 Cummins, when they get that big sometimes the size truck isn't wrote on the side anymore, this one wasn't. I do have a vin# for it though if it would help.
What was the make and model of compressor ? Do you remember ?
Thanks.

Ford Mechanic

That info in post #58 is wrong those are too small, I got them out last night and had a couple of the original injector shims with it but it'll be tomarrow before I can measure them for you. Been in a deep dark turd filled hole all day....WoooHooo

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks