• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel is bleeding back to the tank

jag7720

I think I found out why I killed my starter...when I park in the part of my driveway that is sloped I have to crank the engine an excessive amount in the morning then I get a high rev start then it dies... then more cranking with the pedal floored... then it starts.

So, my question is... why is the fuel draining back when on a slope and what do I do to fix it?

CCATLETT1984

there is a check valve in the lift pump on the side of the enigne that can go bad, its not an expensive part but its a PITA to do (I've done mine twice, once due to a bad replacement part :evil:)

Oned easy way to fix this would be to put an electric pump back on the frame rail near the tank and plumb it into the fuel lines (you can use the electric pump from a 93+ chevy diesel) and run that to a switch that you flip for a few seconds before starting to prime the system.

acetomatoco

The old O ring in the fuel filter housing trick and the rubber fuel line cracks are also culprits.. Just plumb in a 12 volt electric fuel pump with a straight thru design in the fuel line down stream from the block mounted pump and use a momentary switch to prime the system or find the leaks. Or you can park with the nose of your truck pointing downhill.

m38inmaine

The mechanical pump on the engine block was updated at some point and contains a check valve that prevents drainback, I installed them on mine. If you buy a new pump at a GM dealer it will be the new type, they were less than $30.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks