• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel issue questions on in line fuel pump

Mark shiffer

Hope some one can shed some light on this issue. A few weeks ago I was driving my deuce home and it started to feel like I was letting off the gas pedal. I was driving on the high way. Truck was what feels to me starving for fuel. Limped it home and changed all three fuel filters. After that I was unable to bleed the system. Found my lift pump was shot. Instead of a 500 dollar pump I purchased and 24 volt inline pump. Was able to bleed the system, and truck started and ran great. When I went on a danger ride truck didn’t feel healthy still feels like it’s starving for fuel. I was reading conflicting things about the in line pumps. Also some say the trucks will run without a lift pump. Some say the in line pumps don’t flow enough. Trucks a 72 M35A2 whistler. Thanks

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When changing the fuel filters helps with the fuel starvation problem, the next question is why the filters clogged up in the first place. Unless they had been there forever and were never changed, of course.

You could have crud in the tank that gets stirred up or algae or ...

Your new filters can clog up within one drive. Done that been there.
In my case it was residue at the bottom of the tank that caused no problems until I went on a trail for a couple hours and that stirred the whole mess up. Ok on the trail but no power and intermittent starvation on the highway.

Two sets of filters and a cleaned tank later, all good.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check the fuse on top of the in tank pump, that might be why it doesn't work. Also, there is a rubber hose between the pick up and in tank pump that likes to deteriorate. Makes it so when there is 1/2 tank, it will die or do just what you are experiencing.

dmetalmiki

The deuce will run without the in tank pump if bled.
BUT, that is only if there are no issues with the in tank pickup.
As mentioned before, Check the state of the pick up and lines.

V8srfun

You should easily be able to suspect or rule out the in line pump. It should have a gallons per minute flow rating. Is that rating similar to or greater than the original in tank pump.

Mark shiffer

So I pulled the in tank pump and looks like just the motor is shot pickup looks good and nothing is blocking it fuse was good and It only ran before if I hit the tank. I did find the feed line is slightly kinked as it goes threw the frame. Iam going to order new filters and replace than again and repair the line and see how she goes. Thanks for all the input!!

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Ask for a real in-tank Bradley/Parker pump from your friends on here. Perhaps someone will part with one for you. There was hundreds of them and the SS bought them all up from the eBay.
Install that and put a real fuel system filter on the truck, 3 micron and up, Your choice, then no need to change the original truck filters anymore.
Also buy and install the real needed submerged fuel hose pump outlet to pump head.
There is over umpteen threads just on that hose, but put something new and proper in there. The gauge is on the filter head, why not?

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks