• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel Issue

Jon0249

Recent troubles with my 1990 M998-A0 (6.5NA) that I would appreciate advice on.

This summer, it ran fine here in the Texas heat. From the time I brought it home in March 2015, it had always started almost instantly. However, late this summer the crank to start time started going from near instantaneous to 3-5 seconds, to 8-10 seconds, occasionally even longer. I figured it was time to replace the fuel filter and water separator. So I did. Nothing really changed, with start times continuing to be 10+ seconds on cold start. Once started, it would restart immediately the rest of the day.

As the weather cooled, starting took even longer. Most recently, after a tough start, I was pulling a trailer up a long hill and the engine just died. I slipped it into N and it restarted on the fly without even stopping. That happened again, after I had floored the accelerator in a defensive driving maneuver. It also restarted on the fly before I came to a stop. A few days later, with cooler nights and days, it failed to start altogether and has sat for a couple weeks since.

My assessment:

A. With the cooler temps, the glow plugs became a necessity, and their failure caused the starting issues. That was confirmed today when I took #3 out and it was burnt. #2 is stuck, as are a few others I'm afraid. However, I just replaced them this past spring, so the reason they failed is the real mystery.

B. Fuel - I'm guessing the block mounted fuel pump has been going bad for a while and with cooler temps the diaphragm just couldn't handle it and cracked.

All other indicators are normal. GP light comes on for 6-10 seconds as it should. I installed a grounding cable in the spring, so electrically, it's sound. No other issues that come to mind.

Thoughts? Why did I burn the brand new glow plugs? Regarding the fuel, is it possible there is enough air in the system that would cause this kind of problem? I bled the fuel filter canister top bleed screw, so I have discounted that as a factor, but maybe I missed something? Cranking it today, with the bleed screw loose, fuel escaped there, as well as the petcock drain.

Thanks in advance for your expertise!

Jon

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Notorious for buring out GP's....Per AM general, the only "Authorized" box is the S3 smart start from KDS, not from Narton, but KDS. I asked AMG nartron, they said those are not installed into production trucks, only the KDS S3.
go figure....I've personally never had a bad KDS S3, but I have had out of box failures on brand new Nartron S3's.

Jon0249

Ok, appreciate the info on the box. Still puzzled about the fuel issues - does what I described sound like the fuel pump needs replacing?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks