• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel Issues

mlaxton

I have an 802A that runs my hunting camp, this weekend after running a heavy load on it to clean it out. The set shut down with a no fuel indicator. The gauge looked over full at first, then went to empty a few mins later. I opened the cap and the tank looked over full, the fuel level was up into the neck of the tank. I do run on Aux fuel out there, pulling from a drum. I reached my hand into the tank and felt the floats on the fuel level switch, both were moving freely. I pushed them down with my finger and they floated back up, I did this a few times. My tank is very clean the unit had 50hrs when I got it, now only 150hrs. I pulled the screws out of the sender, and when I lifted the sender I found that the bracket that holds the assembly had broke, see attached picture. I read a previous thread on here and I am a little confused. I guess my questions are.

1. Was the tank overfull? since the fuel level was up into neck.
2. Will a bad or broken sender cause a no fuel fault? I was told by someone only the liquid level switch can cause that, the senders only purpose is the level gauge on the panel.
3. Every time I search for a replacement sender # that I found on a thread here I come up empty, all I find is a substitute part from GMG, that claims to be "better" (is it??).
4. Does anyone know where to find this sender substitute other than GMG? As their prices are usually way higher than other sources.
5. Is it coincidence both the switch and sender went bad at the same time?
6. Also a good source for a NOS liquid level switch.
7. Also if someone has a link for a good well nut set up, I'm going to go ahead and do them while I'm here lol.
IMG_7450 (1).JPEGIMG_0677.jpg

Attachments

mlaxton

Sorry didn't see the other half but yes both well nuts are the same
Bulkhead fitting

Square profile Viton o-ring

Round Viton washer

For future reference.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So the ultimate well nut upgrade fitting has a recessed groove to locate and seal the Viton ring. The fitting from McMaster has no such provision. For liquid holdback, you really need this groove.

Guyfang

Staff member
1. Was the tank overfull? since the fuel level was up into neck. (YES)
2. Will a bad or broken sender cause a no fuel fault? (NO) I was told by someone only the liquid level switch can cause that, (YES) the senders only purpose is the level gauge on the panel. (YES)
3. Every time I search for a replacement sender # that I found on a thread here I come up empty, all I find is a substitute part from GMG, that claims to be "better" (is it??). (Depends on who you ask. The ultimate well nut upgrade listed here in the forum seems to be 110% good. Never heard of it going bad or being a problem)
4. Does anyone know where to find this sender substitute other than GMG? As their prices are usually way higher than other sources.
5. Is it coincidence both the switch and sender went bad at the same time? (Could be vibrations. Is the metal tank hold down on the set? And the plastic foot still on it.)
7. Also if someone has a link for a good well nut set up, I'm going to go ahead and do them while I'm here lol. (Look at the beginning of the Generator threads. There is a sticky there with info on the well nut.)

mlaxton

2. Will a bad or broken sender cause a no fuel fault? (NO) I was told by someone only the liquid level switch can cause that, (YES) the senders only purpose is the level gauge on the panel. (YES)
3. Every time I search for a replacement sender # that I found on a thread here I come up empty, all I find is a substitute part from GMG, that claims to be "better" (is it??). (Depends on who you ask. The ultimate well nut upgrade listed here in the forum seems to be 110% good. Never heard of it going bad or being a problem)
5. Is it coincidence both the switch and sender went bad at the same time? (Could be vibrations. Is the metal tank hold down on the set? And the plastic foot still on it.)
7. Also if someone has a link for a good well nut set up, I'm going to go ahead and do them while I'm here lol. (Look at the beginning of the Generator threads. There is a sticky there with info on the well nut.)
Thanks for the feedback, when I pulled the back cover, the hood down was loose and rattling, plastic intact. I did readjust it…

mlaxton

Are there any adjustments to make on the liquid level switch? Or they are set and do not move? I see some C clips on them in pictures, do they move or they are set in a groove? Hard to tell in a pic.

Guyfang

Staff member
The original parts were adjustable in height, and one always needed to make sure the float was not touching anything. I often saw this type of fault/damage. I once found 3 floats in the tank, along with the one I was troubleshooting.

Ray70

When you refer to C-Clips on the liquid level sender I believe you are talking about the J-shaped dual float assembly for the aux fuel pump and no fuel light, not the fuel gage sender.
The clips are in grooves and just keep the floats within their operational area, no adjustment can be made on that assembly, the sensors are magnetic within the tube.
On the fuel level sender I learned long ago to abandon the old technology and replace it with a marine style sender, which can be has as cheap as $28 240-33 ohm SAE 5 bolt flange magnetic liquid level sender.

Guyfang

Staff member
I was hoping someone would jump in with that info. The army switches left a lot to be desired. When units were down range, they used any fuel they could get. JP-4 and Jet-A1 caused the floats to melt. There were other problems.

mlaxton

When you refer to C-Clips on the liquid level sender I believe you are talking about the J-shaped dual float assembly for the aux fuel pump and no fuel light, not the fuel gage sender.
The clips are in grooves and just keep the floats within their operational area, no adjustment can be made on that assembly, the sensors are magnetic within the tube.
On the fuel level sender I learned long ago to abandon the old technology and replace it with a marine style sender, which can be has as cheap as $28 240-33 ohm SAE 5 bolt flange magnetic liquid level sender.
I purchased a marine one like this, 5.5”. Was 40 bucks. It looked the same as the one on GMG. Figured I give it a shot, sounds like it will work! Thanks.

uniquify

So the ultimate well nut upgrade fitting has a recessed groove to locate and seal the Viton ring. The fitting from McMaster has no such provision. For liquid holdback, you really need this groove.
My preferred fitting is the Ace Roto-Mold 10897, which is a 1/4" brass bulkhead fitting with a groove and a viton o-ring. I've got them from tank-depot.com in the past, but they're occasionally available on Amazon, too. Never had a tank leak since I started using these.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks