• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel leak at injection pump

BigEMobileTech

Hey everyone, I am working on a 71' M109A3. It has the multi fuel 465 CID. It leaks fuel while its running on top of the injection pump. My question is are there any service manuals that show seals and gaskets for the head of the pump. Any feed back would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
A pic would help a lot. The only place for fuel to leak "on top" is the plunger bolt in the center or the injector line ferules. Can you tell which it is? No gaskets for either of these.

BigEMobileTech

Im not with the truck and it does not seem to be coming from the lines. If it is leaking from the bolt what are my options?

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The center plug is a metal to metal fit. If I remember it was 50 foot pounds but correct me if I am wrong. You need to find out what is leaking. Myself if I had trouble find it I would cut off the tin plate the has the firing order on it so I can see the top of the head better. It's just the firing order so if you worry about it write it down plus rotation. You need to make sure all you vibration clips are on all the lines. I forget how many but all steel fuel lines that run from the head to the injectors have them. Then clean if it needs it and find the leak. If the center bolt was leaking I would loosen it up and tighten it back down to see if it stops.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good points...if the injection lines vibrate due to missing anti-vibration clips, they can fracture and leak. There should be at least 2 clips spanning all lines in two locations. If you are missing some, consider using automotive cable clamps with rubber insert. You can use two and fasten them together with one bolt, thus connecting two injection lines. http://contentinfo.autozone.com/znetcs/product-info/en/US/drm/85605/image/3/

Do this for all injector lines in at least two locations.

Last edited:

BigEMobileTech

It is definitely missing some anti-vibe clips. I had already planned to get all new clips and check for cracked lines. I have not yet made it back to the truck, just trying to gather as much knowledge as I can prior to going to its location.

BigEMobileTech

I was at the truck the other day and it is definitely leaking from the nut on hydraulic head. I tried to loosen and re-torque but did not fix the leak. Is it time to replace the head or replace the sleeve?

twntrbo0424

When I had problems with with the hydraulic head, the center bolt was leaking also. I pulled the bolt out and took to auto parts store and got a copper washer to fit.
No leaks after it was tightened, so far so good.

rustystud

When I had problems with with the hydraulic head, the center bolt was leaking also. I pulled the bolt out and took to auto parts store and got a copper washer to fit.
No leaks after it was tightened, so far so good.
That plug is "tapered" . How did you get a copper washer to seal on that ?
The best way to get it to seal I've found is to sandblast the plug and go after the housing with some green cleaning pads.
Any dirt on that tapered plug will cause a leak. This is even more true on the "12 point" plug on the side of the Hydraulic Head.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yea agree How? I used the same green cleaning pads on both plug and Head with no problems. There was someone that said they used an O ring one time. I did not answer that post.

twntrbo0424

The plug and H.H. both appeared to be machined flat and I had a slight trickle of fuel coming out and when left to sit overnight would lose prime. I cleaned surfaces several times and still had leakage, after installing washer no more leaks and no loss of prime.
Truck starts immediately runs great.
Ray

rustystud

The plug and H.H. both appeared to be machined flat and I had a slight trickle of fuel coming out and when left to sit overnight would lose prime. I cleaned surfaces several times and still had leakage, after installing washer no more leaks and no loss of prime.
Truck starts immediately runs great.
Ray
Well if it runs great then don't mess with it ! But for future reference that plug is an interference fit plug. Think cylinder head valves to seat fit.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks