• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel leak, return bypass tube

1qwkgoat

I've noticed a fuel leak on my deuce when running. It's on the top of the inj. pump on the part where the 6 inj lines connect. It appears to be coming from the fitting that I'm assuming is the return fitting for the fuel. I attached some pictures of the said fitting.

Before somebody jumps on me about not searching or reading the TM. Let me say yesterday after work I had pulled the Deuce in the shop, took the attached pictures and just sat down at the computer to do some TM reading. When my friend called me to help with his grandpa's cows. His grandpa is really to old to still have cows but he has always had them and getting rid of them would break his "spirit". His Gpa had left his truck in gear while closing the gate and it drove through a corner of the lot another fence and ended up in a large ditch. The cows where out on the highway etc... We spent until midnight getting them back in and jerry rigging the fence up. I'm at work now and can't read through the TM's. As soon as I get off work I have to go get a round bale for the cow's. My friend takes his grandpa to the hospital today. He messed up his leg "chasing" the truck. We'll need the my deuce this weekend to winch the truck out among other things out there. To say the least it was a interesting night. I hate cows.

Back on subject. Can I unscrew this fitting and put some sort of sealant on it that diesel doesn't eat. Or is there a O-ring in there. If so does anybody know what diameter? From looking at it, there appears that was some sort of liquid sealant put on the fitting when it was assembled. As you can tell the fuel has caused the paint to come off. Any help would be much appreciated as I'll probably be sending my girl friend for parts while I mess with the cows. Then try to fix this leak sometime in the wee hours of the night.

Attachments

Last edited:

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
i'm pretty sure it is just pipe thread. you can use teflon tape just be sure none of the tape is allowed to get inside the fitting. there is almost no pressure here, just a return line. while you are there you should consider replacing all the 30+ year old nylon lines with air brake line.

1qwkgoat

Would the fuel not dissolve the tape? I wasn't sure of the pressure if it low pressure, I'll probably unscrew it and use some yamabond on it.

Yamabond is a rtv yamaha uses for sealing 2 stroke cases. I've got some left over from the last time I built my banshee.

I downloaded the tm 9-2910-226-34. But doubt I'll have time to read it.

Thanks for the reply

Earth

It just needs to be tightened. forget the tape. Take off all the lines and properly tighten it . Replace the lines with new air brake line from NAPA. Easy fix, and a good chance to get some ferrules and line for the tool box for next time.

I've used both the air brake line with the insert fittings and regular metal line for these repairs. The one thing I found last week when bypassing the FDC on one of my trucks was that the ferrules NAPA gave me for the insert fittings where taller/longer than a metal line ferrule, and wouldn't work to hook the line up to the final filter with the original fitting--too tall; couldn't start the threads. So I used a regular compression ferrule on this end of the plastic brake line and an insert fitting on the other end. Having repair options just floats my boat, plus I hate going back into town to get parts. Especially little tiny things.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks