• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel leak

86k5

Last few days I've noticed a very strong smell of fuel from the m1009 in the garage. I've installed a spin on type filter and it does not seem to be leaking. I have a few drops (small spot on floor) where fuel is dripping from under flywheel housing.... any ideas on what's causing this?

86k5

What's the IP?
Srry for stupid questions.
Injector pump.
I don't know anything about them. never would have figured it would leak/drip from the flywheel housing.
And wow. What an expensive fix. Bummer.
Most importantly. Is it still drive able with such leak? Or should I stop driving daily until fixed.?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Could also be a leaky hose where it attaches to the IP inlet tube under the intake manifold. Leaks in the IP area have nowhere to go except to puddle in the engine valley until it runs out the back of the block and down the flywheel housing. You could keep running but it is a fire hazard.

dependable

It could also just be rotted return lines. It is hard to see where leaks originate sometimes unless engine is clean and dry. A quick pressure washing will help you find source of leak.

86k5

It's wet under the intake manifold. But I could not really tell what part of the IP it's coming from. I guess it's ok to start it up and have a look.

86k5

So I replaced the injector pump. no more leaks. But now it's vibrating at idle way more than before and it's shifting to early....... Any ideas on what's causing this??

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Or just misadjusted.

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Along with all the above , get your MV OUT of your GARAGE until you get a handle on your fuel leak . If you can smell a fuel leak , that could be enough for a fire or worse in a confined space .

86k5

I'll check the vacuum lines to the shift modulator And I'll loosen the 3 bolts and see if moving the pump left or right helps anything. But for now, I do have it lined up on the mark Other than the timing and the idle. What kind of adjustments can be made? Oh also. I did loosen the bolt that holds the vacuum pump stem down on the block. Moved it around to get to last bolt on manifold. put it back to where it's supposed to be. But is there a gasket that's supposed to be on that? if so I probably need to replace that