• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel level in Tank during cold weather

I think I read somewhere that you should keep the fuel level in the tank full at all times in cold weather to avoid water condensation in the tank.

Is 2/3 full ok or still not a good idea?

Just wondering since I can't drive the Deuce to fill it up (haven't had time to replace the leaking :cry: axle seal yet) so a few trips with the gas can are in order if this is recommended.

Also, if water does make it into the system does the fuel filter canisters catch it?
Is there a drain at the bottom to let it out if they do before it makes it to the injectors?
If so what is the process - just turn on the fuel pump and crack the fitting?
I have seen water seperators on Semi trucks, is this a "should do" thing?

Too many questions all at once?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Gary, don't worry too much about the fuel tank not being filled up.
The primary fuel filter, located below the generator, collects water. It's not heated, so wait for the sun to heat it up a bit (running the engine will also warm it), before draining.

The fuel tank itself has a drain and it may not hurt to check it now and then too. Just crack it and let some fuel out.

To handle any water left in the fuel, use a winter additive for diesel fuels, such as Bio-Con, Bio-Kleen etc, they contain an alcohol which carries the water to the injectors where it will burn. The alcohol gets diluted by the water and burns. Not like pure water, which would be very harmful to the injectors.

Unwashed biodiesel contains some methanol, so the water is taken care of automatically. :)

PS. Sorry to see you lose the PS Magazines on ebay, some people have very deep pockets, although $2.50/issue is not a bad price.

cranetruck said:
<snip>
The primary fuel filter, located below the generator, collects water.

The fuel tank itself has a drain and it may not hurt to check it now and then too. Just crack it and let some fuel out.

PS. Sorry to see you lose the PS Magazines on ebay, some people have very deep pockets, although $2.50/issue is not a bad price. <snip/>

That is great news. I have heard that if water makes it to the injectors that it does not have enough "Hydostatic mass?" to push open the injector, thus losing a cylinder - no fuel. I will check those areas - sounds just like when I preflight a plane and check the low areas of the tanks for water by releasing a small portion into a thing that looks like a giant plastic test tube.

Yeah, the PS mags. Sure would have liked all 100+ issues that were available. After seeing all the great stuff you have been posting - I was inspired to get some. That is the 5th time that that guy has sniped me. He is buying every one of them that comes up. He lives in somewhere in Germany.
I am about ready to snipe one for $10.00 an issue just to kick sand in his face. Some guy in Spokane was selling some and I PM'd him. He had over 100 that he was selling 4 at a time, but all of a sudden he quit selling. I think he made a private deal with Her Paperpeddler in Yermany.
Grrrrrrrrrrr! :evil:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks