• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel Line and Steering Rack

I've had my truck ('86 M1008 ) for a while now(2ish months) and I've noticed a few "quirks" with it

The first one:
I knew about this when I bought it,
The truck seems to have a vacuum leak in the fuel lines, so if I leave the truck to sit overnight it will usually take a few cranks to start and will sometimes die after starting(Rarely). But for the rest of the day it will always start on the first try.

The second one:
This one kinda developed on the 2+ hr deathmarch I put her through to get her home, :sad:
Whenever I turn the steering wheel too quickly Ill hear a thunk from the steering rack.
Of the two this one actually concerns me a little.
Just a note: Ive already checked the frame around the steering box and its fine

Any help is appreciated
Thanks

Jack Lope

I've had my truck ('86 M1008 ) for a while now(2ish months) and I've noticed a few "quirks" with it The first one: I knew about this when I bought it, The truck seems to have a vacuum leak in the fuel lines, so if I leave the truck to sit overnight it will usually take a few cranks to start and will sometimes die after starting(Rarely). But for the rest of the day it will always start on the first try. The second one: This one kinda developed on the 2+ hr deathmarch I put her through to get her home, :sad: Whenever I turn the steering wheel too quickly Ill hear a thunk from the steering rack. Of the two this one actually concerns me a little. Just a note: Ive already checked the frame around the steering box and its fine Any help is appreciated Thanks
Maybe drag link ends are shot? I just replaced them and also tie rods trying to chase a clunk. I fixed some clunks, but still seem to have a ball joint, shock or caliper thunking on the passenger side wheel. I also just recently fixed fuel pressure leak. After replacing the rubber fuel lines, plugging a sensor hole in the fuel filter housing, the leak turned out to be coming from the injection pump. I had it rebuilt which fixed all fuel pressure leaks.

Last edited:

Hasdrubal

Your fuel line issue is probably a leaking fuel pressure sensor on the back of the filter base. You might be able to notice it, run your finger along the bottom of the filter base. see if its wet. I replaced mine with a new base that omits this sensor, no one uses it. When you park for the day, crack the fuel cap to release vacuum in the tank. Should fire right up in the morning. I drilled a tiny hole in my fuel cap and ran it like that for 2 years until I sourced the filter base. Cap still has the hole, 9 years later doesn't seem to have any detrimental effect.

Thanks for the replies

I was thinking that might of been something with the injection pump or the lines around it. And with the steering rack I was thinking that the rubber might have just disintegrated with time. So Im considering just slathering the joints in grease for now until I have the money/time to replace stuff. This truck only did about 2k miles in 10 years and the underside has a pretty good coating of rust on it so neglect by the PO is probably the main cause. The alignment is also pretty horrific(I have to drive with the wheel at 1/8 to 1/4 turn). Ill be able to look at the truck in a couple of weeks.