• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

fuel line upgrade

signs1919

i have a bad fuel line from my tank. the one on it is a copper line. i would like to have a hose made to fit. has anybody done this before and are these standard fittings on the end? thanks

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I got a coil of copper tube from home depot and ran a new line. I used a flaring tool to do the ends. It wasn't too bad.

197thhhc

Copper is the best way to go. You can form it easy and it wont have to be tied down as much as a hose and is also less likely to get a hole rubbed in it.

ODdave

I got a coil of copper tube from home depot and ran a new line. I used a flaring tool to do the ends. It wasn't too bad.
As said, It dosnt get much easier than copper when it comes to lines, As well the DOUBLE flare kit that you will need will also work on the brake lines as well so dont think of the tool as an expense 2cents

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
As said, It dosnt get much easier than copper when it comes to lines, As well the DOUBLE flare kit that you will need will also work on the brake lines as well so dont think of the tool as an expense 2cents
Do they make a non-double flare kit? I guess I never noticed.

DavidWymore

Double flaring 1/2" copper tubing is giving me fits. Gave a generous taper to the OD. The tubing just pushes out the opposite side of the clamp on the initial push with the die. I tried wrapping it the sand paper, and used 3 different flaring/clamping tools, one a Ridgid. I suspect maybe the tubing is too soft and compresses instead of holding in the clamp. Is there some sort of mandrel required to go inside the tubing to prevent that? I thought about machining a round bar slug to just slip fit in the tube, and threading the ID of it 1/4" so I could pull it back out...or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks

DavidWymore

After doing some research online, it appears double flare may be overkill for low pressure copper. Usually double flare is used for high pressure steel brake lines, and copper is usually low pressure single flare. I'm working on the line across the front crossmember. It cracked at the flare at the outlet of the primary filter. I managed to get a double flare, but it's pretty rough. I'll try it and see if it seals. If not, I'm going to try single...if I have enough tubing left. If not, I'm going to plastic or rubber fuel line...and tucking it up behind instead of below the crossmember.

rustystud

After doing some research online, it appears double flare may be overkill for low pressure copper. Usually double flare is used for high pressure steel brake lines, and copper is usually low pressure single flare. I'm working on the line across the front crossmember. It cracked at the flare at the outlet of the primary filter. I managed to get a double flare, but it's pretty rough. I'll try it and see if it seals. If not, I'm going to try single...if I have enough tubing left. If not, I'm going to plastic or rubber fuel line...and tucking it up behind instead of below the crossmember.[/QUOT

Just go with the stainless steel PTFE hose. The Teflon inner liner will never breakdown and the stainless steel outer shell will never rust or corrode and will last you a lifetime. I converted all my fuel lines to this.

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Or single flare, as you already stated. It is more than enough for the fuel pressure.

pigpen60

By double flaring your probably work hardening the tube at the end. If you want to double flare you can heat after the first flare till red and quench. The tube will be annealed.

DavidWymore

It was already double flared, which is why I went to the (unnecessary) trouble. I put it together today and it worked, so on to the next issue now. (Alternator) Can't make up my mind if I want original or modern.

Quido

Happened to look at the fuel line that runs under the radiator today and noticed that its rather abused. Actually surprised that its not leaking. Anyway, I'm going to use this opportunity to replace all the copper lines. Found some Stainless braided PTFE fuel line, but its all jibberish to me. Lots of sizes, like AN6, AN8, etc. I don't know what to get and how much I need. Anyone done this to the whole truck that can give me some direction?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks