• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel line

Tommy78

Its my first post so please bear with me. Can anyone tell me if the fuel line on a '71 deuce and a half copper? Its the line that comes from tank and runs over transfer case to a fitting on drivers side. It is cracked and I need to replace it. Any advice would be great.

Jeepsinker

Cut out the cracked section with a small tubing cutter and splice it back together with a 1/2" compression union, available in the plumbing section of your local hardware store.

dmetalmiki

Welcome to the site, you are going to enjoy that truck. And repair the line as above..that's how I did mine.. cut about 6 inches out and replaced (spliced) in the new 6 inch piece of the same size using two compression fittings each end.

Jeepsinker

If it is a short crack just splice the tube back to itself, if it is a long crack then yes, you will need to get another section of tubing to splice in. It SHOULD be copper, but it sounds like either someone rerouted the line before you got the truck, or you don't have a deuce. The deuce fuel line runs from the tank just inside the frame rail and follows the rail to the front on the passenger side where the primary filter should be located just under the alternator. If it has been replaced it may well be plastic line. Take a knife and scrape it.

Tommy78

Thanks

If it is a short crack just splice the tube back to itself, if it is a long crack then yes, you will need to get another section of tubing to splice in. It SHOULD be copper, but it sounds like either someone rerouted the line before you got the truck, or you don't have a deuce. The deuce fuel line runs from the tank just inside the frame rail and follows the rail to the front on the passenger side where the primary filter should be located just under the alternator. If it has been replaced it may well be plastic line. Take a knife and scrape it.

Thank you , and everybody else who responded, for your advice. I will splice it as soon as the weather warms up. (not going to be above zero this weekend) The line is copper, and it very well have been re- routed. thanks again.

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome welcome!

Take pictures of the crack, the routing and of your fix - and of course your whole truck. Everyone loves a good story, pictures, and a successful fix!

lino

Unless it's the return fuel line. The path he describes is the return line path. And it's smaller tube. 3/8 I think.

Tommy78

Im pretty sure it was the return line, it was 3/8. There was a coupling not far from the crack, so I flared that end and spliced on about 8 inches from there. Thanks again for all the advice.

Jeepsinker

Yes, 3/8" is definitely the return line. You said the line came FROM the tank to the engine, so my first thought was that it was supply. My mistake. Glad you got it fixed.

rustystud

I wouldn't replace the entire length with hose on the supply side. Long runs of hose = pressure loss, that's why most of the fuel system is hard line and only short sections are soft line.
Actually there is no reason not to use poly hose. It will not collapse, will not corrode, or split and crack, and is much cheaper. I'm using Poly hose with stainless steel sheave and have had no problems. All our busses use poly hose for both supply and return lines. Have used them for decades. Almost all over the road trucks have used and are using poly hose for decades now, no problems.

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Actually there is no reason not to use poly hose. It will not collapse, will not corrode, or split and crack, and is much cheaper. I'm using Poly hose with stainless steel sheave and have had no problems. All our busses use poly hose for both supply and return lines. Have used them for decades. Almost all over the road trucks have used and are using poly hose for decades now, no problems.
Would you happen to have a manufacturer & part # for the poly hose? My local hose shop has no idea what I'm talking about when I mention this to them. Thanks!

lino

Would you happen to have a manufacturer & part # for the poly hose? My local hose shop has no idea what I'm talking about when I mention this to them. Thanks!
I used(am using) Teflon hose from Eaton/Aeroquip. Not very cheap, but very effective and long lasting. Fittings are reusable. See attached Bill of Materials. I think the links even still work (all parts available from Summit Racing)
This list uses -8 size (same as stock) for the feed line and -6 (also same as stock) for the return.
View attachment Fuel Filter BOM.pdf

IMPORTANT NOTES:
1) I'm pretty sure these are all the correct and needed parts, and I have them in-hand, but I haven't installed yet. So it's possible the list contains errors.
2) Qty of the PTFE hose on "hose 2" is 0. Because 20' was ordered for hose 1
3) This list is set up to replace the first fuel filter with a setup like Rustystud used. As well as re-route feed line to roughly the same path as stock return line.
4) I made this list just from Summit for ease of ordering. You might be able to save a few bucks (5-10) if you search around. Amazon has the filter mount and housing for about $2 less each.

I'm hoping to install this weekend. So the list will be updated if there are any changes.

Jeepsinker

Agreed. Poly hose is rigid enough to no have any issues. When people say "hose" it means rubber hose to me unless otherwise specified.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks