• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel mileage of 395s vs 1100r20s?

TexAndy

I'm talking about two otherwise identical trucks, both running at 2100 engine rpm.

How much of a fuel mileage disadvantage does the 395 have from being somewhat wider than the 1100r20s?

What kind of fuel mileage are you guys in your singled out deuces getting?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Your asking about how much the wider tire effects mileage, but the 395 is taller too. So you will be going farther with the 395s than with the 1100s.

TexAndy

Your asking about how much the wider tire effects mileage, but the 395 is taller too. So you will be going farther with the 395s than with the 1100s.

Right, I addressed that. I'm not talking about mileage for a given road speed, but rather mileage for a given engine speed.

12 ain't bad. About what was your average engine rpm, westech?

gimpyrobb

Right, I addressed that. I'm not talking about mileage for a given road speed, but rather mileage for a given engine speed.

12 ain't bad. About what was your average engine rpm, westech?
No, you didn't. You addressed the wider part, not the taller part.
Westy's rpm was redline. When he met up wit our convoy to Aberdeen, he passed me like I was in reverse!

gimpyrobb

I think there is a graph in the lds trouble shooting TM that tells you fuel consumption. Granted that is a more powerful motor, but thats the IP Westy had on his ldt motor.

tm america

i have gotten 14 with my deuce pulling a m105 but that was full throttle.i found out that having clogged fuel filters and running it slow can get me as low as 9.5pmg....i have 15.5s on my truck

mikeroot2

I have 395's and I get between 10-13mpg. If you're asking what kind of mpg I get at a specific RPM I can't help ya. In the real world my RPM varies constantly. I do get the 13mpg with mostly highway(2200-2400RPM). If your consideration in tires is fuel economy you should probably get a different truck ;-)

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
it takes a certain amount of fuel to do a certain amount of work. i doubt you will ever find any difference in mpg because of tires. regardless of tire size or gearing, it will take a predictable amount of fuel to go a preset speed. even with .69 5th gear, i still only get 12 mpg, loaded or not (nearly level roads)

tom

TexAndy

I have 395's and I get between 10-13mpg. If you're asking what kind of mpg I get at a specific RPM I can't help ya. In the real world my RPM varies constantly. I do get the 13mpg with mostly highway(2200-2400RPM). If your consideration in tires is fuel economy you should probably get a different truck ;-)
Have you ever considered replacing the ldt-465 with an electric motor?

Think of all the battery capacity you could cram in the bed! And all the area on top of that for solar panels, too!

It could be like a miniature star wars sandcrawler... only moves 7 mph, but it never has to stop. :driver: