• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel miles

DCIV

I know this is a wide open question and I’m not looking for mpg. I don’t trust my fuel gauge and curious about how many miles is half a tank.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know this is a wide open question and I’m not looking for mpg. I don’t trust my fuel gauge and curious about how many miles is half a tank.
You probably should be writing your mileage and gallons down and figure out how far you can go . Or go to the -10 TM
and look up what the range is . Different motors , transmissions ,driving styles all effect how far you can go . There are also different size full tanks and you provided absolutely no information on your truck.

Action

manual states 250 mile range.
tank is 25 gallons.
that is 10 mpg
multiply 10 by 12.5 (half tank)
you get 125 miles

or just take 1/2 of 250

papakb

The fuel gauges in these trucks are notoriously inaccurate. In my M996A1 I'll refuel when the gauge reads empty after around 200 miles. My normal refuel is around 19 gallons so if the tank is 25 gallons you can see I have a healthy error in the reading. At empty I still have around 5 gallons left which is a much better situation than running out of fuel when the gauge reads 1/4 tank! You definitely don't want to run out of fuel in a HMMWV! Even if you carry extra fuel repriming the system is never an easy task.

DCIV

Perfect! Never thought the manuals would tell the range or I wouldn’t have asked.

I think I will start filling up around 150 miles and then see how many miles that gets me.

Thanks guys!

dmetalmiki

You probably should be writing your mileage and gallons down and figure out how far you can go . Or go to the -10 TM
and look up what the range is . Different motors , transmissions ,driving styles all effect how far you can go . There are also different size full tanks and you provided absolutely no information on your truck.
Absolutely agree..So.... OK, I'm guessing your 'MT350'..does around...40 M.P.G.
Had it been an M2..then only 1 gallon per mile!...just..guessing..

aleigh

I don't think anyone advocates reading the TMs cover-to-cover like they are bedside reading. I have a FMTV, not a HMMWV, but, the TMs are probably some of the best service information I have seen for any vehicle that wasn't an airplane. They even tell you how to fabricate many of the special tools required. There are thousands of pages though - I just lookup what I need when I need it.

dhaumann69166

In my experience it doesn’t matter if you drive flat to the floor or baby it around, loaded or empty, pulling or not it gets 10 to 11 mpg. I have a 6.2 with the 3 speed and that’s what I get no matter what I do. If you don’t want to read the TM’s (BORING!!!!!) just use google. Any questions you have, somebody else has also had, and google will get you there faster than anything else in my experience. 99% of the time it will send you right back to Steel Soldiers and have the right page found for you.

LouWon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I usually fill mine up every 100 miles, on the highway I keep it at 60 mph, sometimes 65 but it seems happy a 60
I always have add some stanadyne and I'm constant at about 14mpg.
Mine is not really loaded, apart from the front winch and rear airlift and a spare, probably in the 5500 lbs range

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I usually fill mine up every 100 miles, on the highway I keep it at 60 mph, sometimes 65 but it seems happy a 60
I always have add some stanadyne and I'm constant at about 14mpg.
Mine is not really loaded, apart from the front winch and rear airlift and a spare, probably in the 5500 lbs range
6.2, 3spd, and 37's?

Action

And, if the incorrect gear is in the t/c, the speedo will be off, which will make actual mileage per fill off, which will make mpg off.

Skrilex

Banned
The best way to test mileage is gallons missing from a full tank over gps distance travelled. Any smart phone can accomplish this these days. That is something I can speak about, I’m certain. Lol

LouWon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was being sarcastic abut the Super Swampers TSL, most people stated that the tires where not made to go on a Humvee.
I like them, and they have a good bite
But back to the fuel, 100-125 miles is my limit to refill, plus a break is due after a few hours in the Humvee

dhaumann69166

Drove my Humvee from Hyannis to Denver and back yesterday to go get a H2 for the wife. Started at a field elevation of 3,700 ft and went up to 5,500 ft, 300 miles each direction at 55 to 60 (58 is its favorite place to run). I filled up three times and used a total of 52 gallons of fuel. I figured my all miles with a gps on my phone and figured the mileage both there and back and total mileage. I usually went for 175 miles then found a gas station. On the way there (uphill) I got 10.6 and on the way home i got 11.2. Side note: when driving in rush hour Denver traffic nobody comes near you in a humvee. I had a 30 foot gap all around me and traffic was bumper to bumper.

Skrilex

Banned
Drove my Humvee from Hyannis to Denver and back yesterday to go get a H2 for the wife. Started at a field elevation of 3,700 ft and went up to 5,500 ft, 300 miles each direction at 55 to 60 (58 is its favorite place to run). I filled up three times and used a total of 52 gallons of fuel. I figured my all miles with a gps on my phone and figured the mileage both there and back and total mileage. I usually went for 175 miles then found a gas station. On the way there (uphill) I got 10.6 and on the way home i got 11.2. Side note: when driving in rush hour Denver traffic nobody comes near you in a humvee. I had a 30 foot gap all around me and traffic was bumper to bumper.
Interesting about the traffic, I can’t wait to see what that’s like!

Action

I usually stay quite a ways behind vehicles with no brake lights. I never know when they are stopping. I am not saying yours were off, just saying.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks