• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel polishing

Bill W

CT
Yes there is centrifical filters that will do fuel in fact any true centrifical filter/pump will do any type of liquid its just a matter of changing out the disc in the housing to match the appropriate viscosity. Alfa laval had a nice system but it weighed around 300lbs and cost around $4000.00 but tat was a pump/filter setup for a ship transfer system

Freighttrain
We really need to find you a girlfriend :wink:

Last edited:

Bill W

When I had my tranny rebuilt ( for the second time ) on my NPR I installed one of these "Magnefine" filters ( click below). I'm sure it would work with diesel fuel as well.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/INLI...011QQitemZ320316939484QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

They also have just came out with "Forcefield" filter adaptor ( click below), This might be a nice add on to Jatonka's oil/fuel conversions providing they make one for that specific filter adaptor head????

http://www.emergingent.com/magnefine/force_field.htm

Last edited:

dabtl

I looked at Magnet Force and the other similar filter bases. There are also some that fit around the filter can.

I picked the fit around the filter can version to emulate with my store bought magnets. I have not pulled them to see the results yet.

Logically, the magnets should be put into the system after the filters have done their work. My reasoning is the filters should do their job and the magnets catch anything else too small.

Fat Jack

Very interesting discussion and I plan to try something similar, perhaps not as sophisticated. I would presume that the magnets will do their job (attracting and retaining metalic particles) no matter where you place them, however, it would be nice to provide for quick and easy access to ascertain how well they are doing their job and, presuming they work as anticipated, to provide for easy removal and cleaning of the magnets. Again, assuming they work as anticipated, attaching them to the actual filter canister seems to make the most sense as the crud would be tossed with the filter. No seperate process needed to clean the magnets.

dabtl

My theory on putting the magnets on the side of the final fuel filter housing was to let the filters do their work and to collect what they missed.

I will run the truck another hundred or so miles and take a look at the housing. As the fuel circulates from the tank to the injectors and back, that should be enough cycling to find out if I am right about them.

houdel

Both Dahl and Racor "Turbine" filters work best on a vacumn ( suction) setup. The Racor spin on series will work on either pressure or vacumn.
Don't forget about the in tank pump. If that is working right you've got 5 psi or so all the way from the tank to the IP. No vacuum in the Deuce system as designed.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The booster pump on the IP generates about 50-60 psi when the engine is running, wonder if it produces some suction.....time for some measurements. :)
I use a Racor turbine filter as a primary on the 8x8 and do see some swirling action from time to time....

hdexpert

This is an interesting thread, lots of good info!! You might also try putting a few strong magnets in or on the fuel tank. I would think they would be effective in trapping particles when the vehicle was at rest. I got the idea from transmission pans I've taken off various cars that had magnets in them.

emr

I'm more concerned about hard particles, rust in particular and thought perhaps that the Abrams image had something to do with dust (sand) in the fuel....
Thanks for responding.
Sand is a big problem there and I heard alot of talk about it from my buddys, But here is a true funny story...

Just a funny story at a Mil repair facility, the 939 series five ton had fuel problems, so they kept replacing filters and nothing, so they ordered a new fuel tank, My buddy said why did U order a fuel tank for that truck, the on duty mechanic said" I think its rusty " My buddy said u know they are aluminum in those trucks right... LOL ...He shrugged and walked away,

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks