• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

fuel primer?

Wolfie

Hi, stupid question I'm sure, but is there a fuel primer anywhere in the engine? I just did my first fuel filter change, went to start it up and of course it stalled after a few seconds and now won't start.

maritimer

the top of the filter block is a blac kplastice thing close to the pasenger side of the filter base unscrew and remove the PINK wire from the top of the injection pump then crank engine till no air bubbles come out of the nipple on the top of the filter base. then tighten black plastic screw thingy and re attach PINK wire . it helps to have someone in cab turning the key

Wolfie

Thanks, I'll be trying this in a few minutes...is this normal fuel filter change procedure or did I screw something up?

maritimer

yes very normal for filter change, when the filter in a diesel is empty i causes and air bubble in the system it causes an airlock in the injection system which stalls the engine so the system needs to be primed after filter change

jdcucv

Easier way to change filter or to remove air from fuel system. Pull off return fuel line on IP and put about 4 psi into line going away from IP open bleed on fuel filter block let the air push about 3\4 soda bottle full of fuel, shut bleed remove air filler from return line let air escape back out of return before putting it back on IP. Engine will start right up, no cranking. Also always fill fuel filter with fuel before install. Filter should be changed every 10k for best mileage. I installed a brand new engine in my cucv and did this, the engine started on second cranking.

Wolfie

Got it started just by removing the black screw thingy and trying to start until fuel shot out, put the screw back in and cranked it again while pumping the pedal...awesome.