• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel problems - SOLVED

TB58

Problem was resolved with clean fuel.

So for the first 1000 miles Brutus was running fine. about half way through a tank of Canadian diesel, which is a cloudy green color, he is barely running. Yesterday the trouble started when I was downshifting the RPM would shoot up as I pushed in the clutch then immediately drop. After a stop I started him up and the RPM shot up to about 2500 and dropped immediately to a normal idle. Drove for a while, not running perfectly but going down the road. I stopped to check something and he Died on me. I started him up and he would just sit there and surge. Up to about 2500 then down to about 500 and back until I pulled the shut off lever. I looked over the linkage and fuel system. I did drain a small amount of water from the primary fuel filter (spin on). Nothing else appeared to be out of the ordinary. I syphoned off the remaining fuel in the tank and replaced it with the remaining fuel from Alaska. He ran ok for about 50 miles, I pulled off to check on something and as I was getting ready to get on the road he died on me again. I don't think the FDC has been bypassed.

I am still on 37 in canada. Not the first problem of the trip but the first I don't have a fix for. any help is appreciated

Last edited:

TB58

I am thinking it is a problem with contaminated fuel. I am going to Fill up with some fresh fuel and push on south. I texted nineyards to give him a heads up that I am in his neck of the woods. I will be leaving Bell II Canada south on 37. My next stop will be Kitwanga (I hope) I will post up when I get there. I think I should have cell service there which will be helpful. Between here and there is 164 miles of dead space. Wish me luck.

m715mike

Sorry, I am no assistance with your fuel problem. But I do wish you good luck! I hope the clean fuel solves your problems and you are able to put some trouble free miles on Brutus.

-Michael

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Throw some "sea foam" i the fuel tank if you can find it. In addition to auto parts stores, it can be had at Walmart.

Have you checked to see if the fuel rod moves freely? The fuel shut off rod is on the side of the IP. Take that cover off and move the lever under there back and forth. It should rest at the 7 O'clock position and should move back toward the firewall easily. Then it should return to the 7 position all by itself when you let go.

red

What are your fuel pressure readings? Should have 4+psi at the fuel tank, 35+psi just before the secondary/final fuel filters, and 31+ after the filters at idle.

Use a cheap oil pressure gauge for the higher pressure readings, readily available at most auto part stores. A standard fuel pressure gauge will work for the measurement at the tank.

Correct assumption on the cloudy fuel, sounds like water contamination.

Last edited:

rustystud

After you let it set overnight, try and drain some fuel from the bottom plug on the fuel tank. I know this well get messy but if you have any water in the fuel it will settle to the bottom of the tank and by draining it out just might fix your problem.

TB58

It was definitely the fuel. With the fresh fuel he is back to running normally. After setting overnight the fuel was still cloudy and i didnt get very much water when i drained the tank. I have been runnind diesel kleen with each tank. Now i need to figure out what to do with 35 gal of contaminated fuel

welldigger

After you let it set overnight, try and drain some fuel from the bottom plug on the fuel tank. I know this well get messy but if you have any water in the fuel it will settle to the bottom of the tank and by draining it out just might fix your problem.
Not always. Water can exist in suspension in diesel.

oboyjohn

I cannot really help out since I am on the opposite side of the country, but I can offer an apology for a bad load of fuel. Usually our fuel is good and in even gets additives added in winter at the refinery. But it can happen. I once saw a car with a fresh tank of gas come in the shop barely running. I sampled the gas and it was almost 1/8 of water. Apparently the person filled up right after a fuel truck made a delivery on an almost empty tank. When he filled the tank up, it stirred up water and sediments sitting in the bottom of the tank. When the client filled up his car, he inadvertly pumped this mixture into his car. Not too good for a fuel injection system and doubly so on a diesel system.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks