• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

fuel pump chg m1028

Greenhorn

Having :oops:trouble replacing a fuel pump on a m1028. Pushrod keeps falling down. Is there a bolt to take out to lock pin in place? Thx

m38inmaine

Use some grease on the rod and it will stay in place. Be sure and rotate the engine to have the rod in the upper most position or you risk breaking the rod after the pump is installed.

kenny

I do not know about the 6.2 because I have not changed mine yet.
But on a Chevy v8 gas engine you can remove the upper bolt from the right front engine mounting boss (on the front of the block) and insert a long bolt 3/8-16 x 2 in.)to hold the fuel pump push rod.

Greenhorn

fuel pump chg

I already tried the grease, maybe not thick enough. I was aware of the bolt to keep the rod up but have never had to use it. Looking at the teardown pic I'm not sure which one it is. Is it the 2nd hole up rt side on the timing cover? What a pain. Ive changed these pumps before on gas engs and have never had this amount of trouble. Also,is the grease going to be a problem with the oil returning to the case? Should I clean it out before installing pump?Thx

Last edited:

kenny

yep it is the second one up with dark oil in the hole.
Also on the grease part it did not work for me once and I used blue gasket sealer on it after I sprayed carb clean on the rod to get to oil off of it so that it would stick to the rod

Greenhorn

Kenny,
2nd hole up looking at pic it is on the left, Correct? I was concerned about rtv clogged up oil rtn. In DFW area now trying to get fixed and back to CVG. Thx

kenny

yes 2nd on left. Make sure you make it snug not to tight or you can make a burr on the rod.

Rtv is fine as long as you only use enough to coat the rod..
I rebuild the same engine about 4 years after because it was wore out and did see a piece of rtv on the oil pump screan about the size of a 1/4 of a dine.
I dont know it it came from the fuel pump rod or one of the many gaskets I changed over the years.

Greenhorn

It is done...

Thanks to all inputs. I coated the push rod with vasoline and left it stand overnight. The next morning, being colder, the rod still moved but at a slower rate. I had enough time to get the pump in on the first try! A good way to start the morning. 8)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks