• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel Pump Failure Analysis

KaiserM109

This is a follow up on http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?t=29481&highlight=deuce+start

It is an understatement to just say that I like to take things apart. I started at the age of 3 by disassembling my mother’s watch with a hammer. I often tear into things just to see how they work. I have voided many warrantees with a screwdriver.

I pulled the non-working in-tank fuel pump out of my deuce and was working with it to see if I could get it functional again. I got it to run, but not smoothly. I guessed that the brushes were probably worn out and if I could replace them and maybe clean up the commutator, I could re-install it. I was right, at least about the brushes, but it will never see the insides of a fuel tank again. One brush was completely gone while the other was less than 3/16 inch thick.

What I found was very interesting, not so much for how it failed, but for how the pump is built. A quick aside, I have been tearing into automobiles for longer than most of the readers here have been drinking from a glass. As a rule when I get into a light assembly or something else I usually find badly corroded or rusted metal. When I changed taillight bulbs on my ’66 deuce I was surprised at how new everything inside looked. It had been properly built and then properly sealed. The screws that hold the lense on even have clips to keep them from getting lost in the mud.

The pump is enclosed in a non-ferrous stainless steel housing that is as complete as an egg shell. I found NO SEAMS, only the hole where the wire comes out. I would really like to see how they made it!! I ground a rib off to get it open.

Not even the motor shaft comes out. It is coupled with the centrifugal pump via magnets, hence the non-ferrous housing. COOL!! Inside the housing is a magnetic disc that revolves close to a flat housing. On the outside of the housing there is another magnetic disc that is connected to the actual pump that is lubricated with the fuel. The coupling strength is about 20 to 30 inch pounds of torque, plenty to kick the fuel up the lines.

The rest of the motor was much like any other motor, it has oilite bushings and carbon brushes. The brush wires are riveted in such a way as to make them nearly impossible to change and the commutator is pretty much used up. Where most American cars are designed to last about 10 years, this is built to last about 20. I think the government got it’s money’s worth.

My recommendation to anyone with fuel pump problems is to buy a new one. A motor can test perfect until just before the brushes fly out of the holder. I have never walked away from a truck in the woods because I am conservative about maintaining critical parts and I'm too stove up to start now.

If anyone is interested, I can post pic’s of the torn down motor.

Arlyn
Colorado

DanMartin

Great info! Too bad they are not rebuildable in any way. :( Since they are not making these pumps any more, I think in the future keeping these trucks running will be a challenge as these things wear out (amongst other things).

When mine dies, I'll be plumbing in a walbro FRB-15 pump. Cheap, External, rebuildable, and reliable. Plus it auto-cycles the pump only when fuel is demanded (for those times you forget to hit the battery switch).

• Flow: to 225 lph (60 gph)
  • Self priming (dry lift) up to 48 inches (120 w/ check valve)
  • Ampere hours: up to 70% less than FRA & FRC
  • Continuous duty life (diesel fuel): >18000 hrs
  • Weight: 0.83 kg (1.83 lbs)
  • Pump cycles only when fuel is demanded
  • Replaceable filter
  • Inlet/Outlet fittings are 1/4-18 NPSF
  • 96 hour salt spray test (ASTM B-117)

Last edited:

KaiserM109

Jason, ' gotta love ya, even if you did beat me in the Ft.Riley auction in '07. Verizon is not cooperating and I can't get the pic's out of my phone. I'll post them later.

With regard to buying a new pump, in the last thread:
You can buy the intank pump from the manufatcer cheaper than any where else. There info is on hear some where. It's Olympic controls.
The URL for Olympic Controls is:http://www.occorp.com/?page=Pumps

I’ve emailed them, but haven’t gotten a response. I’ll call them on Monday.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for posting Arlyn!

Patent drawings are often very useful.....(patent #2,885126 May 5, 1959)

Sure wish the site's picture auto re-sizer was a bit bigger, detailed pictures like this one are practically useless at this size. I have noticed this with many pictures posted that have great detail or text. I wish we had a choice of sizes when posting pictures (maybe make the small size the default but when needed , have a larger choice, when posting it)

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The US Military still uses that pump.... They are still in production. Alot of Armored Vehicles use it. The Bradley, M113, and others...

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, is the verdict that when the pump fails, it's time for a NEW pump? Somehow I wouldnt trust opening up, fixing, and attempting to reseal a pump, and hoping it works......

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, is the verdict that when the pump fails, it's time for a NEW pump? Somehow I wouldnt trust opening up, fixing, and attempting to reseal a pump, and hoping it works......
Yes, I would say so, but only after a thorough going over and a bench test (no taking apart), since external electrical connections often seem to be an issue.

jimm1009

My pump quit and I did all the reading this weekend and last.
Pulled it out and cleaned all the grounds and removed the pump from the motor just to make sure that it was not siezed up.
A couple of times I got a small "ugh" out of it but basically a no-go.
Checked voltage to the other side of the fuse but that is as far as you can go since the lead is sealed from there on down.
Used jumper leads to apply power directly to the other side of the fuse too just for G.P.
Can't afford the OEM in-tank pump for $250 so I guess the next best thing is the Carter P4603HD from all the reading that I have done.
43 GPG at about 7 PSI before the filters so I hope that will be o.k. after the 3rd element. The thumper-pumps don't seem to be the same volume so the Carter seems to be the next best thing. There are racing pumps that have higher flow but everything is 12 volts above 70 GPH & 12 PSI or so.
Am planning on a 6 micron in the 1st secondary and a 2 micron in the 2nd secondary spot. Probably a 8 or 10 micron in the primary but am not sure about that.
Am in Louisiana at a whopping 29 ft. above sea level so I should be o.k.
Comments are welcome and appreciated.
jimm1009

hklvette

i'm glad this thread came back to the top, because my pump motor is about to quit (getting the grinding brush noise), and i'd like to replace it with a stocker because the type of impeller it has looks like it could pump darn near anything.

jimm1009

New ones are out of my range and no one wants to sell thier spare used ones not that I blame them. I would save my spare pump too.
Did anyone arrange a group buy a while back?
jimm1009

Loco_Hosa

So, OP. As a young, dumb kid, I have to ask you. If you were going to run WMO, would you say the stock pump is good for this? Or do you feel that an aftermarket would be more effective?

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just replaced mine with a new one that I got from Austin Aviation. My old one worked on the bench, but not in the tank. The motor always ran, but just wouldn't pump! If I wanted to pump something thicker/heavier, like WMO, I would want the original pump. They push from the bottom of the tank.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks