• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel pump going bad?

aaron379

On my deuce if I do not turn the power switch on and let the pump run for at least a minute it wont start or it will start and have trouble getting on its feet... But when it gets started it runs fine no problems like lack of power or missing.... When i shut the truck off if I go to the fuel tank I can hear the fuel running back in the tank is that normal?..... If my pump goes out has anyone tried the external pump from c&c equipment $125 on ebay?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Why not fix the issues thats wrong with it? Sounds to me like you are getting air in the fuel system. Leaving the pump run bleeds that air out.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
1. How much fuel is in the tank (not by the gauge, rather looking in the tank).
2. Gave you pulled the top off where the electrical wire goes in (two screws) and made sure it's clean (no rust, gunk, etc.) and the fuse is good.
3. A brand new in tank fuel pump from the manufacturer is less than $250 and part of the problem might be the flexible pipe inside is going bad, so an external pump would not solve anything.

Farmun

My vote is with Gimp, air getting in, letting fuel run back out. From your description, the pump appears to work just fine, if it pressures up the system well enough to start and run smoothly. The IP will pull fuel from the tank without the in-tank pump running. That is, if there are no leaks, and fuel stays in the lines.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I had the same issue...the rubber line inside the in-tank pump was bad.......this was after I bought a parts pump and changed the pump part out only to find it was the hose.:doh::doh:

Also a good time to make sure all the fittings are tight and that the filters are not gunked up.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree 100% with what has already been said. Air is getting into your line and fuel is draining back. This would also be a good time to change out all three fuel filters for PM. If your filters are gunked up, I would also drain and clean the tank and lines.

aaron379

I pulled the pump the rubber hose wasn't very tight on the barbed fitting and neither was the barbed fitting so I took it apart, cleaned it, put thread tape on the fitting and tightened everything down.... I checked for leaks and didn't find any so ill see if the things I fixed worked later tonight...... Hope so

Farmun

You might also look at the fuel return lines between the injectors. After I brought the truck home, I had to replace these, and the brass connectors to keep fuel up to the injectors.

Farmun

McMaster-Carr, ordered the fittings, ferrules, and fuel line online. I have some extras in the truck. Later this morning I'll go see what part numbers.

Some people will tell you to "do a search", but once I get the part numbers, I'll post them right here: McMaster-Carr: P/N 50815K104.

Last edited: