• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel pump problem

Coldpan35

Hello everyone like the title says I got a in tank fuel pump problem I can't seem to figure out. I have not pulled the pump to see if the bottom fell off but I will as soon as I get back out to the truck. So any way here's what I did. I changed the fuel filters and went to bleed the lines and no fuel. Checked the pump and it wasn't humming or making any sound. I changed the fuse on the pump and still nothing. Any ideas what it could be?

dmetalmiki

That's one of the "useen/unkown" problems with those in tank pumps As a deuce will start run and drive just fine without the in tank pump running, So when the pump fails (unknown to the driver) the truck just keeps going fine. Why these things spin their heads off mile after (1000s of!) miles escapes me. Well actually it doesn't, because I fit a switch on the dash to turn the pump off. And it is only turned on to bleed or prime the circuit. You probably have a worn out pump (hardly suprising!) So when you rebuild repair or replace it, Put an Isolation switch on the dash so it remains "like a new one". Some 5 ton M54s will not run or drive with the pump switched off. Some do.

Jeepsinker

It really needs to have the lift pump working. Starving the hydraulic head for fuel will accelerate wear over time. When you pull fuel through the filters, instead of pushing it, you cause cavitation in the fuel supply, which is micro bubbles of air. It will run, but it is bad for it. Cavitation also can allow water past the filter elements.

If you don't hear the pump running, the motor is bad. That is assuming you verified that you have power to the pump. Get yourself a new lift pump.

Coldpan35

Ok thanks for the help guys I'll be getting a new one next week. This is the first time I didn't here it working so I thought it was the fuse but it wasn't cause it has power to the pump but no go.

Jeepsinker

Yep. I have one in mine now too. Those are a MUCH better pump than the original Olympic pump. Quieter too, not that it really matters.

Dmetalmiki, I'm glad you've had exceedingly good luck with your trucks, and I'm not sure how much you actually drive them, but it must not be enough cumulative milage to see any I'll effects yet.

I've had to replace a couple, including one of mine because of it. Well, that and crappy filters/ rusty tank. It all adds up eventually.

rustystud

Yep. I have one in mine now too. Those are a MUCH better pump than the original Olympic pump. Quieter too, not that it really matters.

Dmetalmiki, I'm glad you've had exceedingly good luck with your trucks, and I'm not sure how much you actually drive them, but it must not be enough cumulative milage to see any I'll effects yet.

I've had to replace a couple, including one of mine because of it. Well, that and crappy filters/ rusty tank. It all adds up eventually.
I have a new Olympic pump in my right tank and a new Parker pump in my left tank. The parker is so quite I have to take the cap off to hear it run. The new Olympic pump can be heard from the drivers seat with the air buzzer going off ! I have a couple spare Parkers but will keep the Olympic until it craps out. I'll probably be dead before that happens though considering how long they last. Both put out the same pressure, about 9psi .

Coldpan35

So I got a new pump and wow! she whistles even better now and runs a lot smoother! Thanks guys for all your help to those who replied to my post!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks