• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel Pump

ktm380

Found out the hard way that the fuel pump is not working. :evil: Changed out all the fuel filters today and I could not get it to prime. I did some searching and found alot of good info but where can I get a new pump. Saturn does not have them and I did not find the external one's that have been talked about here on past post. Also would it be possiable for some to post a pic of the bottom of the pump, It looks like I'm missing the bottom cover.
Help please!

Hotshot

If your looking for the tank pump Memphis Equipment has them.They also carry just about everything else you could need.

houdel

If you hunt through the Saturn listings they do have an external 24V fuel pump for $36.50.

http://www.saturnsurplus.com/miscpage/miscpage.htm

I wish the search function would work for the Saturn site, every time I try to use it (even though I hit the "Search saturnsurplus.com button) it does a Google search. They used to list a kit for installing a low air pressure light in the dash but I can't find it anymore. All I can find now is the kit with a new air pressure guage, and I don't need the guage, just the warning light kit.

ktm380

Hotshot, I will call them in the morning. Any idea of cost?

Houdel, That is the one I was looking for I might also get one to carry as a spare.

mangus580

Houdel, the google search that happens when you search Saturn, is a google of 'just' saturns site. It should return what you need.

I have also heard somewhere that the external pumps they sell do not flow enough fuel for the deuce...

ktm380

From an old post found here I found the flow rate is less, but I think it will work to prime. My internal fuel pump has never worked.

mangus580

Also, its been found that if you take the fuel pump apart, ususally you can clean everything up and make them work again. Of course... I should try that on mine, as it hasnt been working in quite some time.

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
I also just found out those pumps are absolutely worthless unless they have the bottom cover. You could probably make a shim and cover out of some sheet metal and save yourself alot of money. Just use precision cutting with a jig saw. Beats spending $150 on anotherpump. I would triple check the tank, I bet its hidden in a far corner. Good luck.

ktm380

How can I get to the far corner of the tank? Looking around the shop for some sheet metal. Is the bottom completly covered (Blanked off)?

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
There sould be gaps in the bottom. Try using a coat hanger to fish around in there. I was able to use a coat hanger to pull a Q-tip that fell into my VW 1.9 Diesel cylinder during an injector nozzle swap (long story). If you can get a flash light and mirror in there that could help you see. Definately drain the tank if you can for best visibility, theres a drain plug at the bottom of the tank.

jwaller

the pic of that shim came off of my tank and I'm so lazy I havent put it back on yet, can anybody tell me what actually holds the shim to the bottom of the pump?

ktm380

Ok so I went fishing and found all the parts! a piece in each corner, Tank was almost full and I don't have can's to empty it. The parts are just the right size to go though the little gaps.

The shims are held in by the cover. I think the cover in pressed in, I drilled some holes and put cotter pins to help hold it.

Put it all back together, primed it, started right up no problem. Seems to have some more power now! :)

pics backward,

Attachments

rdixiemiller

from the pictures that is a standard design centrifugal pump. As said, it will not work without the bottom cover! It will also not work without the "shims". Those shims form the pump body, which is shaped like the numeral "9". If you look at the pump, you notice that the open center of the "shim" surrounds the impeller. The inlet screen is centered on the impeller. As the impeller rotates at high speed, the liquid is accelerated around the pump cavity. As the fluid at high speed hits the "tail of the number 9" shaped section of the pump body, it shoots through the opening and goes up the tube to the engine. You can see that if the pump is running backwards, it will not pump. If the liquid does not completely fill the pump cavity, it will not pump. This design pump is very efficient, and is used in all sorts of commercial, residential, and automotive applications.
I like the cotter pin idea! I have read several posts about the pump falling apart in the tank. That is some fine "field engineering" in action! If I ever have to pull mine, that will be a modification I perform.
Glad you got it back running!

Jones

Looks like you're on the right track. The only difference I can see on mine is that the plate is held in place by a length of wire laced in and out of the holes. I can set my pump on my scanner and get a picture if you like.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
ktm380,
If you are NOT satisfied overall with the results of your current fix, let me know. I bought four pumps off of ebay a while back. Three work, one does not.

You could have the one that doesn't work for free. You pay shipping. Or drive up from Pueblo, I'll buy lunch.

Of the three remaining ones, I gave the NOS one to RandyLBarnes. That leaves me with two that may or may not function properly, though the seller said they do spin the motor when powered up. The fourth one, as I said is DOA.

If you wanted one of the ones that may or may not work, or the DOA one, let me know. I'm not in this for making money. WE GOTTA HELP EACH OTHER to keep Green Iron on the roads.

Let me know.

jim

Sorry, but I must have missed this thread before. Plus I'm in super overdrive right now trying desperately to finish a ton of projects before a buddy of mine shows up next Thursday from FLA. I have not seen him in over ten years.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks