• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel Pump?

blazerboy

The rubber hose that's connected to the fuel pump is leaking.My question is will I have to bleed the air out,when I put a new hose on,and if so what's the best way.You can tell this is my first diesel ride.Thanks!

Westech

CPL
Get the tm! (or a Chilton repair manual) my fingers are bleeding form typing the same answers. If I copy and paste GET THE TM before every post I think i will be ahead. .

See.... like I said this morning.. it not going to get any better folks. The good old days are long long gone.

Last edited:

QuickSilver

Get the tm! (or a Chilton repair manual) my fingers are bleeding form typing the same answers. If I copy and paste GET THE TM before every post I think i will be ahead. .

See.... like I said this morning.. it not going to get any better folks. The good old days are long long gone.
Just quit typing replies to them then. :p;)

Westech

CPL
:mrgreen:where is the fun in that?

ok.. you do all your repair work, or better yet take it to "your auto repair shop".
Take the little red wire off the injection pump..... I SAID THE RED WIRE! D*** kids
open the bleeder on top of the fuel filter ( black round knob)
Hit the starter till fuel sperts out.
Close bleeder, wash any fuel off engine.
Put the red wire back on the injection pump.
Start truck.
It may die a couple times.. if so hold foot to floor and try to start.
It will start.. just dont crank for more then 30 seconds with out letting the starter cool for 2 min.

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another member has an improvment to Westy's instructions.

Get a clear piece of tubing and install it on the bleeder valve. Take the other end and put it in a clear water bottle.

Put the water bottle under the passenger wiper arm so you can see the fuel flow.

As you crank the engine you will see the fuel and bubbles and the bottle will help the cleanup process.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/30327-fuel-filter-changeout.html

Westech

CPL
Another member has an improvment to Westy's instructions.

Get a clear piece of tubing and install it on the bleeder valve. Take the other end and put it in a clear water bottle.

Put the water bottle under the passenger wiper arm so you can see the fuel flow.

As you crank the engine you will see the fuel and bubbles and the bottle will help the cleanup process.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/30327-fuel-filter-changeout.html

Good point..From the "factory" there should be a clear hose there running to under the front right leaf spring. But 20+ years most have been gone for some time.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK KIDDIES, I have ADDED a 6 psi electric fuel pump I put up under the passenger side frame rail. I connected it to come on once the ignition is turned on.

THEN, my modified bleeding instructions.

Open the bleeder valve on top of the fuel filter. Turn on the ignition - DO NOT ATTEMPT TO START. Wait for fuel to spurt out of bleeder valve. Turn off ignition. Close bleeder valve.

YOU HAVE NOW BLED THE SYSTEM WITHOUT 'tiring' either the batteries OR the starter. Takes way less time and you will always have at least 6 psi fuel pressure as long as the electric fuel pump is working.

They cost less than sixty dollars and takes less than about five minutes to install. And bleeding air out of the fuel filter is now a breeze.

jooakes

Wallew
When you installed the elect pump did you bypass the mech pump or let it run through it?
My 09 is starting hard so i'm getting ready to put on a spin on filter an a elect pump.

JOOAKES, my truck has the same set up as wallew. My truck was a B**CH to start, so I went ahead and put on a 6 PSI pump along with a spin on filter. The truck starts first time, every time! I've got new lines all the way to tank. I sealed off the mechanical pump line (put a smooth bolt on each end of the line with a hose clamp) and zip stripped it to the fire wall and frame rail. If my electric pump fails, all I have to do is hook up the mechanical pump lines and continue mission. BIG RED-IMHO, I wouldnt run it through the mechanical lines, just incase the mechanical pump fails. Just my 2cents.

Last edited:

hre513

Does the mechanical fuel pump have a rubber diaphram?
Yes.

I am not sure why, but sometimes the lift pump does not prime so well with an open bleeder, maybe the lack of pressure lets the check ball float in the line or something. I am not sure how that check valve in the lift pump works. One of my M1009s will not prime with that top bleeder open. Hope it helps, Glen
I found this to be my problem. I even took the fuel filter base inlet hose loose and poured fuel down it, then reattached. Then cranked, open bleeder screw released air pressure. Closed bleeder screw then cranked again, finally had fuel came out after a couple of cranks. Here are some pics of my old fuel pump. The bushing that the arm rides on was broken and created a lot of play. There were broken pieces collected on the inside of the pump under the arm.

Attachments

cucv1833

Im running the cheap china Mr Gasket fuel pump on my M1008 along with the Mech. fuel pump and it is pretty nice to have my electric pump is on a switch. Before i had that to bleed the air i would pump 5 psi of air in the return line off the I.P. once i heard my fuel cap start venting i would open the vent on the fuel filter and fuel would flow out. Once i filled up a 20 oz. bottle of fuel i would close the vent and hit the road again.

MuleMac01

Military vehicle collector
Steel Soldiers Supporter
umm ok try this an ez way to get fuel from the tank 2 the fuel pump is blow air into the fuel tank... that will get the fuel 2 the pump worked on my mule when i could not get a prime on a pull start engine....[thumbzup][thumbzup] use a shop vac blower or air comp..

Last edited:

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, putting pressure into your tank WILL bleed the system.

My electric fuel pump has been installed ever since I got my first M1009 four plus years ago.

I DO NOT by pass the original fuel pump. The 6 psi is no where near enough to cause it any problems. If it bothers you, just remove it and put a flat piece of steel over the hole. I did that on an M1031 I sold. The guy said he didn't need a mechanical fuel pump, so just removed it. Truck works great.

Hope that helps.

TCUCV

Hey blazer, I replaced my fuel pump not to long ago and it was fairly simple, just some parts more of a pain than others. The hose you are referring to I believe you should be able to take it off, put the new one on and crank up that truck! When we put all the hoses back on we didn't have to prime the truck or anything out of the ordinary. Just my $.02