• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel question

Sp0okfish

I got 150 gallons of diesel for free because it has been mixed with only 1-2 gallons of DEF, was wandering if it would hurt anything to burn it I have a water seperater fuel filter so I think I should be alright. Just want other people two cents to be safe.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Fluid, not fuel.

I was hoping the OP would confirm what he was talking about, rather than assume.

BIG_RED

DEF has water in it:

"Diesel Exhaust Fluid, also called DEF, is a solution made up of purified water and 32.5 percent automotive-grade urea that is used as a carrying agent for the ammonia needed to reduce nitrogen oxide (NOx) emissions from vehicles into nitrogen, water and carbon dioxide (CO2)."

Quoted from: Diesel Exhaust Fluid | Facts About SCR

You do not want water in your fuel. Maybe if you got someone to run it through a centrifuge first, but then I don't know if that would get rid of the other chemicals (UREA) which are supposed to be fairly corrosive.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
DEF=PEE

I would get a transfer pump and put a water seperator on that, rather than hope just the stock filter catches it. It might do it, but could leave you on the side of the road, at night, on a back road, needing to be somewhere quickly.2cents

Keith_J

It settles out of diesel. It may form a scum with biodiesel so you would be best served to mix 1/2% two stroke oil into the diesel once decanted off the DEF.

The rest will be caught by the filters so drain them often into a clear jar to see if there is contamination.