• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

fuel return line noise

Vintage iron

have you disconnected your fuel return line and put on a temp line into a bucket. this will tell you if the check valve is making the noise. It sounds like you have been doing your homework. I would try to add the front fuel line to even out the fuel to your injectors. Next after that would be new injectors. Let me know if you need any help.

treeguy

"I would try to add the front fuel line to even out the fuel to your injectors."

I'm not really sure what you mean by this?????

I talked to the head mechanic at a large fire department today and he suggested adding ATF to the fuel tank to see if anything will clean up. He also mentioned that the injector sound may be originating from valves (ya know, intake/exhaust) needing adjustment and that the sound may be traveling to the injector line. The mechanic also said that there really isn't anything in the injectors that will cause that ticking except for foreign debris. My valves most likely need adjustment since the head gasket work that I had done quite a while back. I adjusted them upon re-assembly of my engine and I think that they should be checked now that the truck has been run for a while. My problem is "Soldier B". Unless I put a come-a-long to a tree, crank the truck forward by hand while in gear, and watch for rocker arm rise. That option stinks!

I'm not sure that I'm going to need new injectors yet. How do you guys know when you need to replace yours, what happens? How about soot build up visible at the stack (inside caking)? Is that normal?

Thanks!

Seth_O

I pulled my injectors when doing the HG and found them sooty, but serviceable. The injector holes were clean and appeared good. An overnight soaking in chem dip (carb cleaner) removed all the soot and buildup.

That being said, my number one injector line rattled as well. Turned out the coils in the line were too close together, and when the fuel pulsed through it caused them to bang against themselves and cause a rattling sound. I spread the coils apart by gently bending the lines by hand.

Rattle gone.

Chevyman_15237

Stopped down at a heavy diesel shop on Friday, the fellas that work there are pretty good. Said it's probably in the IP... but as long as there is no loss in power/hard to start/irradic idle to keep running it!

Jesse6325

One thing about the Deuce, It's a real concert of rattles, taps bangs, squeaks, groans, pops, and a whole bunch of less idetifiable noises. Enough to REALLY drive you nuts if you have a bit of OCD,,,

Big Tom

I found this thread searching for noise in the return line mine is making a vibrating noise at the tank u can feel it with your hand all the way back didn't know if there was a final decision on the cause ?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks